Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

afk
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dynamic date charts (for week number)

Hi,

How do I create a chart that only shows data for the past 6 weeks for example? I have a weeknum column and I've put this column on the x-axis of the charts.

At the moment, the chart shows all week numbers that exist in the data and will continue to build when more data is inputted. So over time this will get cramped hence why i only want to show the past 6 weeks.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

If your week number is being derived off some sort of date field, what you can do is put the date field in the visual filter section and use the relative date filtering to say you're only wanting data within the last 42 days. Not sure how it would work if it isn't, perhaps make some sort of calculated column that has a week number running continuously (so that it doesn't reset year on year), then look up the largest value (to get the current week number), and do some DAX to take that off of your new column, add six, then filter on positive values?

Hi @jthomson,

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, my week number is derived from a date field so this suggestion works easily. However, this only works well if the data is constantly up to date.

Currently, my data is only dated up to mid Jan. Is there a way for the charts to show the latest 6 weeks from the latest date in the data? 'MAX(date) - 6 weeks' for example.

HI @afk,

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest your take a look at relative date slicer. I think it may suitable for your requirement.

Use a relative date slicer and filter in Power BI Desktop

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

This is similar to the previous suggestion, but the same issue occurs. It takes the latest [#] weeks from today's date. But if the data is not up-to-date, then it doesn't work so well. In my case, the latest data date is 16/01/2018, and if I choose to show the last 6 weeks, it only shows me 3 weeks. If i choose to show the last 1 week, it appears as blank as i don't have any data for the past week.

Any suggestions for this?

HI @afk,

Did you use week(calendar) option on relative slicer? If this is a case, week(calendar) only shows finished weeks.

I'd like to suggest you use week option to instead.(it calculate on day number)

8.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.