Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

apcl73

Dynamic data source

Hi

I have created a Project site template in SharePoint. It contains a burndown chart created using Power BI Desktop. The report works great. What I am trying to achieve is a dynamic data source. So if I spin up a new project site it will have it's own list to provide the data for the burndown chart but the embedded Power BI report will be pointing to a different set of data in a different site.

What I'd like to do is somehow pass the data source details to the report so that it retrieves the data from the dynamic source. I don't think this is possible but thought I would ask.

Thanks

Azam

3 REPLIES 3

Well you need to tell Power Query the source somehow.  Currently it sounds like it is hard coded.  But you could move the reference to another Query, like a Parameter table.   I blogged about a simliar concept here http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2015/10/share-and-refresh-power-query-with-local-links/

I guess you could create a parameter table directly in Power BI with "entere data" or you could set up an Excel Workbook with the links.  I guess you could also set up a SharePoint list to hold the parameters.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

It would be great, if we could push this concept even a bit further and allocate the data source dynamically according to the user login. But that would require us to have a USERNAME-equivalent in M. If you agree, please vote for this feature here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13926666-provide-username-functio...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

apcl73

Hi

I don't think what I am trying to do is possible but I thought I would ask anyway.

Very simply I have a SharePoint site template which contains an embedded Power BI report to display a burndown chart from data held in the site. Obviously each time I create a new site I want it to retrieve data from it's own list, so I need to be able to pass the data source to the embedded report some how.

Like I said I don't think this is possible with Power BI, but I may be wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.