Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ezpowerTW
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic count by hierarchy based on drill down

Hi,

I am creating a model to visualise the results of our engagement survey. Users will be able to drill down the results based on the org structure (four level). The challenge is that, to protect the anonymity of the results, I cannot display the results for teams with less than 5 employees. I have tried to create a filter based on a measure [i.e. calculate(count(employee ID))>5], but this ended up excluding the teams with less than 5 employees even from the overall company level.

In the example below, I need to visualise Level 1 where all 14 employees count; same for Level 2, all employees count; on level 3, I can visualise both Business Unit as the total headcount by Business Unit is greater than 5; however, on Level 4, I cannot show the results for Department 1 and 2 because the headcount of each is less than 5 (the only data point that should show on my visual for Level 4 is Department 3)

Level 1Level 2Level 3Level 4Employee Count
CompanyDivision ABusiness Unit 1Department 13
CompanyDivision ABusiness Unit 1Department 24

Company

Division ABusiness Unit 2Department 37

Again, with the approach I am using now, i.e calculate(count(employee ID))>5, the 3 and 4 employees of Deparment 1 and 2 are excluded from all Levels.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ezpowerTW ,

You may create measure Filter1 like DAX below, then put the Filter1 in the Visual Level Filter of the Matrix visual which displays the four levels, setting Filter1 as "is not blank".

Filter1 =
VAR _Count =
    CALCULATE ( COUNT ( [employee ID] ) )
RETURN
    IF ( _Count > 5, 1, BLANK () )

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Amy,

Unless I have misunderstood your instructions, your solution does not work as it is excluding from the level 1 calculations employees who are in a team of less or equal than 5 on level 4.

Thank you again for your time.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ezpowerTW - Not sure I am entirely following this but you should be able to use the concept of a Complex Selector to determine whether or not to include/show certain information. This way you can include it in the calculation but not show it at the lowest granularity. Probably will want to use ISINSCOPE, HASONEVALUE, etc. to find your place in the hierarchy. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/The-Complex-Selector/m-p/1116633#M534

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Matrix-Measure-Total-Triple-Threat-Rock-amp-...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you Greg. I will try your suggestions and provide some feedback once I am done.

Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.