Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NotSoPowerUser
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic column selection in DAX

Hi,

I am trying to have the user select any data variable for x and y axis to plot out of a large data set 'DataSet'.

The data set got mostly numbers but also strings so some will plot on a x/y scatter chart and some in column chart (but lets leave that alone)

I figures the best way of doing this is to create two new columns which will represent the x and y values. I am also having two unlinked slicers which users can select the variable names from another separate list 'Variable List'. I will be able to lookup the user selection with and expression such as SelectedValue('Variable List'[Column1]). So this is fine so fare.

The DAX expression for the two new columns would have sounded something like this if I could have used INDIRECT formula as in excel i.e.  X-Axis-Data = DataSet [ Indirect ( SelectedValue('Variable List'[Column1]) ) ]

Now I know indirect does not work in Power BI but I figure there must be a way to make a DAX expression with a dynamic reference to another column.

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Look at the new-ish "Personalize Visual"  functionality in Power BI June release. That gives the end user the power to change chart types and data points on the fly.  Very neat in a situation like yours.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.