Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic column header in Table or Matrix

Hello Experts,

I need my table or matrix column to show month and year names according to the slicer value choose. Can anyone help me with this,

I am attaching my model and my Requirements:

My data Model:

rajaguru85_0-1630218906596.jpeg

My Requirement : 

rajaguru85_1-1630218932386.png

Many Thanks :

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sergione

Hi @Anonymous, I faced similar problem some time ago. Unfortunately until now I'm convinced that there is no way to achieve the desired result. Let me explan why and the workaround you can use:

• You can't change column or measure name dynamically. In data model wheteher it's a column or a mesure it has a static name you gave it when created, so in your case "Selected Month Revenue Amount" and "Previous Month Revenue Amount". You can change a display name when using measures on your viasulas, but again, it's not dynamic (e.g. instead of "Selected Month Revenue Amount" you might rename it to "CY Rev Amt" or something similar).
  • To get a dynamic output, you need another measure that will calculate it for you. So this two new tehcnical measures would provide strings "Mar-20" and "Feb-20" that will change dynamically based on filter selection. Then you need to deside how to integrate it in the report.
    • You might have dynamic info text as a separate visual, telling your user what period is selected now (text higlighted in yellow are the measures):

Sergione_2-1630233105616.png

• Or you can add a pop-up explanation using visual header tooltip:

Sergione_1-1630232961912.png

I hope it will help you!

Feel free to approach me if you like these ideas but need more details on how to implement them.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sergione 

Thank you for your deatiled explanation. Much appreciated. 

Sergione

Hi @Anonymous, I faced similar problem some time ago. Unfortunately until now I'm convinced that there is no way to achieve the desired result. Let me explan why and the workaround you can use:

• You can't change column or measure name dynamically. In data model wheteher it's a column or a mesure it has a static name you gave it when created, so in your case "Selected Month Revenue Amount" and "Previous Month Revenue Amount". You can change a display name when using measures on your viasulas, but again, it's not dynamic (e.g. instead of "Selected Month Revenue Amount" you might rename it to "CY Rev Amt" or something similar).
  • To get a dynamic output, you need another measure that will calculate it for you. So this two new tehcnical measures would provide strings "Mar-20" and "Feb-20" that will change dynamically based on filter selection. Then you need to deside how to integrate it in the report.
    • You might have dynamic info text as a separate visual, telling your user what period is selected now (text higlighted in yellow are the measures):

Sergione_2-1630233105616.png

• Or you can add a pop-up explanation using visual header tooltip:

Sergione_1-1630232961912.png

I hope it will help you!

Feel free to approach me if you like these ideas but need more details on how to implement them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.