Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dirkbreeuwer
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic change Axis AND Legend with Slicers

Hi guys, I am new to the community and excited to learn a lot! WIll be attending MS Data summit so let me know if you want to meet up.

I am trying to provide users of my reports with a powerful analytical experience and a self-service feeling. 

The data I am working with looks like this (simplified):

help_1.png

I would like users to be able to use slicers to change both the axis AND the legend of the different graphs in the report.

So far I have managed to change EITHER the axis or the legend using the following technique:

Duplicate the table (shown above) then unpivoted it based on Year, Area, and Position columns.

The remaining table looks like this:

help_2.png

I link both tables using the index column. Then create a Stacked Column Chart, with year on the Axis, Value on the Legend, and Total Hires on The Value fields:

help_3.png

Is there any way I can create a new slicer that lets me change the Axis by the different attributes? Would be interesting to see all hiring by Area vs Position, or Area vs Year, etc. 

Thanks in advance,

Dirk

4 REPLIES 4
mdannemiller
Frequent Visitor

You could create a hierarchy of Area, Position, and Year.  The first level would show Area totals, if you drill down without selecting a specific area, it will then show you position, and then by year.  

Its not perfect but it does "change" the axis, and also gives you the ability to drill into an area and see position data for just that Area.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mdannemiller, Your solution some how helped me to dril down my chart while keeping only single chart and having multiple attribute at the same time. Now i want to show only top 5 value in each drill down state for each hirarchy i set. Is this possible in hirarchy drill down method? I am using donut chart. Please see my example screenshot attached here:

Drill down Chart by top 5 only.png

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@dirkbreeuwer

No, slicer/filter can only filter data on row level, not column level. So it's not possible to dynamically populate data fields into visual. 

Regards,

Too bad... thanks for the answer tho. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.