Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dynamic Y-Axis on Line Charts

When creating an Line Chart using small multiples you can have several charts showing up within the "canvas" area of the line chart. Unfortunately the Y-Axis always set to the upper and lower bounds thus when you have disparate scales of really large and really small amounts the small values appear as a straight line, when in actuallity if the scale were smaller you would see a large dispersion between the minimum and maximum value.

scaling issue.png

3 REPLIES 3

The zoom slider is not available is you have multiple charts displayed for a line chart visual.

In line chart you can get mulitple charts in the canvas area by supplying another grouping measurement in the Small multiples field. What you end up with is multiple charts in the visual that have a common axis. The problem is that the Small Multiples field can have very disparate scales that make them unusable because the large scale will make the small scaled charts look like a flat line. See the inputs for the fields and formats

BrandonCampbell_0-1639756107808.png

Please notice the grid layout that now appears where the zoom slide would appear for a single chart

BrandonCampbell_2-1639756400693.png

The chart with values in the Millions complete skews the axis for the chart with values in the 10s

BrandonCampbell_3-1639756736503.png

I would be nice to use the function on the y-scale to use the min and max of the individual chart and not the min and max of the overall data. The min and max should be determined by the small multiples grouping value.

Hi @BrandonCampbell ,

According to your description. I tried. But there is no this feature for the time being, you can create an idea to help improve power bi

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @BrandonCampbell 

You can use the zoom slider on the Formatting pane for this so that the chart can be zoomed to the section you need to look closer into.

pranit828_0-1639694648409.png

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.