Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Panto
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamic X axis change without pivot / adding huge amount of data

Hi community,

I know there are at least 2 possible ways to handle the dynamic X axis change (good post here: https://www.thedataschool.com.au/danica-hui/switching-dimensions-in-power-bi/) 

All these solutions need at least pivoting data or creating a join table based on a ID column which may not be the case when you handle "digital data" such as web analytics datafeed.

That being said, assuming to have a fact table with milions rows and 8 possible "switchable" dimension columns (say A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H) , these solutions are not a good fit because of the extra data needed (something really close to AxBxCxDxExFxGxH cardinality x number of rows)

So, basically, is there any way to achieve the dynamic X axis without adding lots of data to the original one?

The switchable measure trick with a simple N rows table is super easy and affordable data-wise, and like others tool do, I was wondering if there is an alternative solution.

Thanks in advance

Fabio

Follow me on Twitter:@PantoMvp
Get in contact on Linkedin: Fabio Fantoni
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Panto ,

the simple answer is no.

But maybe you can consider a capability that has been introduced with the April 2020 release. The personalized visuals feature: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-april-2020-feature-summary/#_Personalize_v...

This feature is another great step to pervasive self-service BI, allowing your users to adapt the visuals you created to their needs

I'm aware, that at the current moment this feature is maybe to "open", depending on the maturity of your users. But as Power BI does not provide a simple "programmable" solution to switch the axis of one or more visuals, all other solutions need table(s) and DAX.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Panto ,

the simple answer is no.

But maybe you can consider a capability that has been introduced with the April 2020 release. The personalized visuals feature: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-april-2020-feature-summary/#_Personalize_v...

This feature is another great step to pervasive self-service BI, allowing your users to adapt the visuals you created to their needs

I'm aware, that at the current moment this feature is maybe to "open", depending on the maturity of your users. But as Power BI does not provide a simple "programmable" solution to switch the axis of one or more visuals, all other solutions need table(s) and DAX.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @Anonymous 

thanks for your straight feedback.

Unfortunately all my negative-experiments now make sense if it's something it can't be done without adding extra data.

That being said, the personalize visuals is really something.
Even though it may lead to further confusion with chaotic users, it's a good way to achieve the X-axis switch in few seconds.

Best

Fabio

Follow me on Twitter:@PantoMvp
Get in contact on Linkedin: Fabio Fantoni

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.