Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aaarmstee67
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamic TopN Filter with multiple column

I am working on a project. I need to create a dynamic top n which should work when different slicers are used. I used RankX which gives me the results i need when i group on only one column, eg clientgroup, but the issue arises when i add different columns, such as ClientGroup, SalesLocation, SalesPersonName, HoursWorked. The results is not right when i apply different slicers.  I tried to create a column for rownumber so that i can get the dynamic topn, that is if the row number can default to start from 1 with increment of 1 whenever any filter is applied. But this is becoming more difficult than i thought. Can anybody help. Urgent please. I have spent several days on this but to no avail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @aaarmstee67,

Seems your conditions here are different from your previous sample. But you can adjust it to satisfy your requirements. I have sent the demo base on your data through Private Message. 

selectedTopN =
VAR ranks =
    CALCULATE (
        RANKX ( ALL ( 'TESTPBI1'[contactname] ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( TESTPBI1[qty] ) ) ),
        ALLSELECTED ( TESTPBI1[companyname] ),
        ALLSELECTED ( TESTPBI1[country] ),
        ALLSELECTED ( TESTPBI1[Value] )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        ISBLANK ( 'TopN'[TopN Value] ),
        ranks,
        IF ( ranks <= 'TopN'[TopN Value], ranks, BLANK () )
    )

Finally, you can select the top N value from the slicer and filter out the blanks to show top N only.

topn2

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @aaarmstee67,

What's your expected result? Please try out the demo in the attachment.

Dynamic_Top_N_Filter_with_multiple_column

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

IThanks for the response. But it looks as if it is not working at my end. Can you take a look please.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvCnR2EyBsfsaVoZkJ54-5WhjPQ

Hi @aaarmstee67,

Please delete the link if it contains sensitive data.

The trick is the context will be filtered down to one row as a group. So all the rank is 1st because it's 1st in its own group. Please try to clear the context you don't need. 

Ranks 2 =
CALCULATE (
    RANKX ( ALL ( TESTPBI1[contactname] ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( TESTPBI1[qty] ) ) ),
    ALL ( TESTPBI1[companyname] )
)
Ranks 3 =
CALCULATE (
    RANKX ( ALL ( TESTPBI1[companyname] ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( TESTPBI1[qty] ) ) ),
    ALL ( TESTPBI1[contactname], TESTPBI1[Value] )
)

Dynamic_Top_N_Filter_with_multiple_column2

Best Regards,

Dale

Thanks for the efforts and the prompt response. I think am not doing a good job explaining what am working on.

The aim of the project is to give users the flexibility to select TOP N

Table: It has three columns from the dimension table: ClientGroup, Department, SalesPerson

Measure: HoursWorked

Slicers: SalesPersonRole (PrimaryRole, SecondaryRole and TertiaryRole)

:Period (Year - 2013 to 2018)

:Office (Several)

: Unit(Several eg. Marketing etc)

:SalesPerson(Names)

: TopN Slicer

Users need to be able to apply any of these filters and still get the required TopN based on the ClientGroup, as well as the different departmens, and Salespersons, and their hours work within only the TopN. Eg. if usesr want to know the topn clients of a Salesperson within a certain year they should be able to get that etc. 

The inbuilt Top N function is able to do that but they don't want a situation where they have to change it all the time using the visual filters. Please help. 

Thank for the efforts and the prompt response. I think am not doing a good job explaining what am working on.

Table: It has three columns from the dimension table: ClientGroup, Department, SalesPerson

Slicers: SalesPersonRole (PrimaryRole, SecondaryRole and TertiaryRole)

😛eriod (Year - 2013 to 2018)

😮ffice (Several)

: Unit(Several eg. Marketing etc)

:SalesPerson(Names)

: TopN Slicer

Users need to be able to apply any of these filters and still get the required TopN based on the ClientGroup, as well as the different departmens, and Salespersons, and their hours work within only the TopN. Eg. if usesr want to know the topn clients of a Salesperson within a certain year they should be able to get that etc. 

The inbuilt Top N function is able to do that but they don't want a situation where they have to change it all the time using the visual filters. Please help. 

Thank for the efforts and the prompt response. I think am not doing a good job explaining what am working on.

Slicers: SalesPersonRole (PrimaryRole, SecondaryRole and TertiaryRole),Period (Year - 2013 to 2018),Office (Several),Unit(Several eg. Marketing etc),SalesPerson(Names),TopN Slicer

Hi @aaarmstee67,

Seems your conditions here are different from your previous sample. But you can adjust it to satisfy your requirements. I have sent the demo base on your data through Private Message. 

selectedTopN =
VAR ranks =
    CALCULATE (
        RANKX ( ALL ( 'TESTPBI1'[contactname] ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( TESTPBI1[qty] ) ) ),
        ALLSELECTED ( TESTPBI1[companyname] ),
        ALLSELECTED ( TESTPBI1[country] ),
        ALLSELECTED ( TESTPBI1[Value] )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        ISBLANK ( 'TopN'[TopN Value] ),
        ranks,
        IF ( ranks <= 'TopN'[TopN Value], ranks, BLANK () )
    )

Finally, you can select the top N value from the slicer and filter out the blanks to show top N only.

topn2

Best Regards,

Dale

Thanks soooo much @v-jiascu-msft

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.