Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sebastian_ebg
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamic Top N by Hierarchy

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a visualisation to show the top N products sold (in a Treemap, hence wanting to reduce clutter), but I want to show this for each level of the hierarchy and not just restrict the entire hierarchy to the lowest level top N.

The model that I'm using is fairly simple:

Data Model

The hierarchy is as follows:

-> Franchise

-> Platform

-> Name

I could use calculated columns and RANKX in the Products table, yes - but I don't think this would work because I also want to filter by time.

An example would be "What's the top 15 product Names sold in the top 15 Platforms in the top 15 Franchises in Fiscal Week 12?".

What I'd like to be able to do is show the top N Franchises, then when I drill down, show the top N Platforms within the Franchise, then when I drill down, show the top N products by Name within the Platform and Franchise, all the while respecting filtering within the report.

If I do a simple Top N filter on Name, it flows back upstream and affects the Franchise and Platform so what I'm after is a way to only filter downwards instead of in both directions.

Anyone got any ideas on how to solve this?

Alternatively, for a simpler solution, does anyone know of a way to filter only one level of a hierarchy, so that I can simply show Top N for the product level only, while still showing all Franchises and Platforms above it?

3 REPLIES 3
keh3671
Regular Visitor

Were you able to find a suitable solution for this report? I have the same issue.

Thank-you, 

No, sorry - I didn't find a solution to this.

I just had to stick with top N overall filtering 😞

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@sebastian_ebg,

For your requirement, I don't think we can achieve it based on my understanding. 

Since you filter the data on the leave level, this filter also used for the whole hierarchy. If the filtered valued from the same Franchises, then only one Franchise will display on your chart.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.