Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bokchoy
Helper II
Helper II

Dynamic Time hierarchy selection

Hi Guys,

Just a simple question regarding using time hierarchy in BI desktop.

So BI automatically provides a hierarchy to date fields which is helpful. However, when I select that date field in a table, it breaks up my date into 4 columns ( Year, Quater, Month, Day). I simply want the actual date in (dd/mm/yyyy) format. 

Is there a quick way to achieve this without turning off auto-time intelligence? I still want to keep the hierarchy for other purposes. 
When I untick "date hierarchy" it will also untick the date field.  (refer to images below)

Please help, thanks guys.

Bokchoy_1-1613958008311.pngBokchoy_0-1613957976711.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bokchoy,

Power bi does not prevent you to duplicate use table fields on the same visual.

You can add multiple date fields with different display modes (hierarchy and general date format, you can right-click on the date field to change).

In addition, you can also try to create a custom calendar with all detailed date fields and links to the raw date field. For the hierarchy part usage, you can use the calendar fields instead.

Build a Reusable Calendar Table with Power Query 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bokchoy,

Power bi does not prevent you to duplicate use table fields on the same visual.

You can add multiple date fields with different display modes (hierarchy and general date format, you can right-click on the date field to change).

In addition, you can also try to create a custom calendar with all detailed date fields and links to the raw date field. For the hierarchy part usage, you can use the calendar fields instead.

Build a Reusable Calendar Table with Power Query 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Bokchoy , You can create column-like, year, qtr, month and day in your table and create a manual hierarchy

create a new hierarchy
https://www.tutorialgateway.org/create-hierarchy-in-power-bi/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6vXVJZ_eTY

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.