cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SabineOussi Established Member
Established Member

Dynamic Text

Hello,

Is there a way that I can create a dynamic text within the text box?

In other words, let's say I want to display the following:

There are @numberoftickers submitted by @numberofusers and managed by @numberofadmins 

@numbers will be a count of certain fields.

I know that I can create a card of the desired count and a text box with a specified space and put them on top of each other so that they appear as they're written in one sentence.

But is therer a better way to do it? Like sort of a hyperlink to columns?

Thanks,

Sabine O.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SqlJason Member

Re: Dynamic Text

What you can do is to create a measure like 

TextMeasure = "There are " +  [numberoftickers] + " submitted by " + [numberofusers] + " and managed by " + [numberofadmins]

Now you can place this measure in a text box and that should show the desired result. Using text based measures is a handy technique in scenarios like this. 

12 REPLIES 12
HarrisMalik Established Member
Established Member

@SabineOussi as far as I know text expressions are not yet available but as you mentioned you can do some workarounds.

SqlJason Member

What you can do is to create a measure like 

TextMeasure = "There are " +  [numberoftickers] + " submitted by " + [numberofusers] + " and managed by " + [numberofadmins]

Now you can place this measure in a text box and that should show the desired result. Using text based measures is a handy technique in scenarios like this. 

greggyb New Contributor
New Contributor

@SqlJason, & is the concatenation operator in DAX; + is not overloaded as in SQL.

As an additional point, depending on the measure being used to provide the numeric portion of this string, you may find a need for FORMAT(), which allows you to use a format string to alter the display of a numeric or date value.

SqlJason Member

My bad, I forgot to test it before posting Smiley Happy.... Yes you will have to use the & operator as well as FORMAT() based on your needs as @greggyb mentioned.

Established Member

Yes, I'm aware about the language, thanks.

I was just hoping to have a more direct solution.

MrDataGeek Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@SqlJason how do you set a textbox to the value of a measure? I was able to create a measure that returns a dynamic title using your method but I don't know how to set a textbox a measure. I was able to do so using the "card" visualization but I don't want to use that visualization because it uses the name of the measure as a default title. 

Established Member

@MrDataGeek it is a card visualization and not a textbox. You can turn off the category label, turn on the title and put the title text you want.

MrDataGeek Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @SabineOussi! I figured that out last night and I was about to update my question before I saw your response. I did not initially think to turn off the "category label". I appreciate your help!

ChrisHaas Established Member
Established Member

Chris Webb has blogged about a fantastic solution that listens to slicer values to dynamically create a title.  Very similar solution using a card with no category that "sits on top of" of chart, but a little more robust.