Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Table with extrapolated dates

Hello,

I have been trying to wrap my head around how best to approach this problem.  I have been working on this for a couple days.

I have a table with a baselined  list of orders by subgroup. The table is updated each day to show which ones are still outstanding.  Once the order is filled, The outstanding date is frozen to the date filled. I am ultimately trying to generate a daily burndown chart by subgroup of outstanding orders from the baseline date.  I suspect that I have to generate a dynamic table.  Below is a sample of the orginal table and the anticipated dynamic table. Can someone please assist me in the best way to approach this problem?

Original table:

Order #Outstanding as ofOn Baselined listSub Group
17/19/2018Yes4
27/17/2018Yes2
37/17/2018Yes2
47/16/2018No1
57/15/2018Yes3
67/13/2018Yes3
77/10/2018Yes2
87/10/2018No2
97/10/2018Yes3
107/10/2018Yes2
117/9/2018Yes4
127/6/2018Yes1

Anticipated table:

Outstanding as ofSubgroup 1Subgroup 2Subgroup 3Subgroup 4
7/6/20181432
7/9/20180432
7/10/20180431
7/13/20180221
7/15/20180211
7/17/20180201
7/19/20180001
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I was able to solve my problem using a DAX calculation to create a burndown chart. 

I created a calendar and then added columns for each of the subgroup.  Then I used the DAX expression for each subgroup to count up all open orders on each given day.

Subgroup1 = COUNTROWS(FILTER(tablename,
(tablename[baseline]=1) &&
 (tablename[action] = "Orderbeingvalidate"  || 
tablename[action] = "InfulfillmentQueue") &&

(tablename[last_update] >= 'Backlog Calendar'[Date]) &&
(tablename[subgroup] = 1)

))

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

I am not clear about the logic that you use to get the expected table from the sample data in original table. Could you please explain it by taking the first row data of Anticipated table as example ?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I was able to solve my problem using a DAX calculation to create a burndown chart. 

I created a calendar and then added columns for each of the subgroup.  Then I used the DAX expression for each subgroup to count up all open orders on each given day.

Subgroup1 = COUNTROWS(FILTER(tablename,
(tablename[baseline]=1) &&
 (tablename[action] = "Orderbeingvalidate"  || 
tablename[action] = "InfulfillmentQueue") &&

(tablename[last_update] >= 'Backlog Calendar'[Date]) &&
(tablename[subgroup] = 1)

))

Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

First of all, I think, the Anticipated table which you have provided is exactly the output of your sample data which you have given here.

That said, the below is the M-Query for getting the table that you need from the Original Data.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fdA9CsAwCAXguzgHEvOfS3QvIWPnDr0/VHx0SAlZRPhQ8fVOTIaK5Wa94yr9eT1SIw3TycPKbF4tbCzC8mfHLYWVEijNY0Etw8LKCsytztWf6TlQW45hJbvNTkYuy1gYueTZ5L/xAg==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Order #" = _t, #"Outstanding as of" = _t, #"On Baselined list" = _t, #"Sub Group" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Order #", Int64.Type}, {"Outstanding as of", type date}, {"On Baselined list", type text}, {"Sub Group", Int64.Type}}),
    Partition = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Order #"}, {{"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Index",1,1), type table}}),
    #"Expanded Partition" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Partition, "Partition", {"Outstanding as of", "On Baselined list", "Sub Group", "Index"}, {"Partition.Outstanding as of", "Partition.On Baselined list", "Partition.Sub Group", "Partition.Index"}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Partition", "Custom", each if [Partition.Sub Group] = 1 then "Subgroup 1" else if [Partition.Sub Group] = 2 then "Subgroup 2" else if [Partition.Sub Group] = 3 then "Subgroup 3" else if [Partition.Sub Group] = 4 then "Subgroup 4" else "Subgroup 5"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Conditional Column",{{"Custom", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

The Output is as follows

transpose.PNG

The link for a similar post here

Hope this solves your issue!!!

If this solves, don't forget to Kudo the post and accept as solution!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for taking the time to assist me with your response, I am not sure I follow all of your M code,  however, after reviewing the output that you show, it is not exactly what I am looking for.  I am trying to see all of the orders that are outstanding on a daily basis ( a burndown chart as it were).  So I need to count all unfulfilled orders each day.  So thats why the anticipated results that I presented shows multiple entries in each row for each date.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.