Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nizaminzi
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Slicer Value Population

Hello All,

I have the below requirement.

We have currencies at three levels.

Global - USD YEN

Regional - USD YEN EURO

Local - USD YEN POUNDS FRANC

nizaminzi_0-1608121442413.png

nizaminzi_1-1608121503214.png

The Currency Single Select Filter changes the currency format to the selected one.USD is default.

My requirement is as below:

1)When Region is all and country is all then currency slicer should show only the global currencies - USD and JPY

2)When One region is selected,example EMEA ,then currency slicer should show the regional curreny along with global currency - USD,JPY and EUR

3)When one region and one country is selected then the local currency should also be considered - USD.JPY,EUR and POUNDS

4)When two regions are selected in a region then the local currency should not be available- USD,JPY and EUR

5)When Two regions are selcted then show only global currency - USD,JPY

Filter 1                                                              Filter 2                                                    Target Slicer (Single select)

1)Region ALL                                                    Country ALL                                             Currency- USD JPY

2)Region-EMEA(Single)                                    Country ALL                                             Currency - USD JPY EUR

3)Region-EMEA (Single)                                   Country England(Single)                          Currency - USD JPY EUR POUNDS

4)Region-ALL                                                   Country England and France(multiple)    Currency -USD JPY EUR 

5)Region-AMERICAS and EMEA(multiple)        Country -All or multiple                           Currency - USD JPY

The Target slicer should change/populate accordingly

PLease let me know if anyone has a solution for this

9 REPLIES 9
nizaminzi
Frequent Visitor

Yes you can say that too,If a person belongs to england she should not view view YUAN which belongs to china,HE SHOULD VIEW ONLY USD,JPY,EUR,POUNDS.If two countries are selected(like england and france) then there should be only regional currency(like EURO ALONG WITH USD,JPY) and no country currencies.

Hi, @nizaminzi 

If the user can choose the region arbitrarily and can switch after the choice, Don’t you think your requirements are actually useless?

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @nizaminzi 

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

According to your description,I think dynamic slicer value is not feasible, but you can use a measure in the card to achieve a similar result.

Like this:

Measure =
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    NOT ( ISFILTERED ( 'Table 1'[Country] ) ) && NOT ( ISFILTERED ( 'Table'[Region] ) ), "Currency- USD JPY",
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Region] ) = "EMEA"
        && NOT ( ISFILTERED ( 'Table 1'[Country] ) ), "Currency - USD JPY EUR",
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Region] ) = "EMEA"
        && SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table 1'[Country] ) = "England", "Currency - USD JPY EUR POUNDS",
    NOT ( ISFILTERED ( 'Table'[Region] ) )
        && "England"
            IN DISTINCT ( 'Table 1'[Country] )
                && "France"
                    IN DISTINCT ( 'Table 1'[Country] )
                        && COUNTROWS ( DISTINCT ( 'Table 1'[Country] ) ) = 2, " Currency -USD JPY EUR",
    "AMERICAS"
        IN DISTINCT ( 'Table'[Region] )
            && "EMEA"
                IN DISTINCT ( 'Table'[Region] )
                    && COUNTROWS ( DISTINCT ( 'Table'[Region] ) ) = 2
                    && COUNTROWS ( DISTINCT ( 'Table 1'[Country] ) ) > 1, "Currency - USD JPY"
)

1.png2.png

Here is my sample .pbix file.Hope it helps.

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-janeyg-msft 

Thanks for the reply!

But I was looking for a different solutionI should have represented data in a better way.

My requirement is when i select region EMEA and country all, then currency slicer should be like below.

Currency Slicer

• USD
  • JPY
  • EUR

This should give us an option to select one currency.

If I have selected multiple regions, then my currency filter should be like below.

Currency Filter

• USD 
  • JPY

I hope I am clear here!

Hi, @nizaminzi 

I have not seen what you want to use the Currency slicer for from your description, if it is only used for presentation, it can be replaced by card, which can be dynamic.

Could you share some sample data for reference?So we can help you soon.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Please find attached the sample file. 

There are two tables.One for Region,Country and one for Currency.Currency is a disconnected table.

Country Key Country Region
JP Japan JAPAN
US USA AMERICAS
CA Canada AMERICAS
MX Mexico AMERICAS
FR France EMEA
IL Israel EMEA
IT Italy EMEA
NL Netherlands EMEA
PL Poland EMEA
DE Germany EMEA
AU Australia APAC
IN India APAC
MY Malaysia APAC
NP Nepal APAC
SG Singapore APAC
NZ New Zealand APAC
CN China CHINA

Currency

USD
JPY
EUR
POUNDS

we need to change currency table according to selections made on region and country from the region table.

Reagrds,

Nizam

Hi, @nizaminzi 

I was very busy yesterday,but now I have checked your needs and I find some problems.

First, I have reminded you in the last reply that it is impossible to dynamically change the value in sclier, because this is equivalent to dynamically changing the value of a column in your data source. So can you understand it?

If you want to change dynamically, you can only use measure. Can you fully describe your reqiuirements and what you want the currency slicer to do? So I can give you a suitable workaround.Thank you.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-janeyg-msft ,

I understand.So from your explanation I see that calculated columns approach is not possible.

My exact requirement is as follows.

• We have end users belonging to many regions accross the world.
  • We have USD as our base measure and we convert the currency to other currency as the currency slicer changes.This currency slicer has both regional and country currency.
  • For example if user selects JPY then we apply the conversion rate of USD to JPY and the report will show measures in JPY.

Requirement

• The tricky scenario here is that I want to show only certain currency options in the currency slicer when an user selects particular region and country.
  • Default currency options should be USD and JPY and more currency options should be available as the user starts selecting individual regions and countries.
  • For example if an user selects Europe in region then the currency slicer should have only USD,JPY and EUR.
  • If he selects One country example england in europe then slicer should have USD,JPY,EURO and POUNDS.
  • When all regions and all countries are selcted we should have only USD and JPY.
  • The currency filter should be single select and by default USD will be already selected

I hope this is clear.If a workaround is possible then please suggest.

Hi,  @nizaminzi 

Do you want to prohibit users in the local area from choosing non-corresponding currency?

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.