Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Krish89
Helper II
Helper II

Dynamic Row level security

Hi,

I have a requirement like below:

I have two tables "SalesRep" and "Sales" as below.

I need to implement RLS on these tables. If SalesRep "Daniel" logs in to Power BI service, he should see his sales data i.e., row 1&6 in the Sales table.

If SalesRep "Leo" logs in to Power BI service, he should see his sales data i.e., row 5&7 in the Sales table.

But if manger logs in, he should see all the sales reps data under him.

For Eg: Anderson should see the data of Daniel, Philip and Sonia and Jakub should see Sonia and Leo's data.

table.PNG           table1.PNG

Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thank you,

Krishna.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Krish89 ,

About the Manager role, it first filters out the e-mails of the managers in the ‘Sales Rep’ [Manager Email] and uses the username() function to determine if the current user is inside. If he is, he will see the information that belongs to him.

For example, Anderson is the current user, and his e-mail is in the [Manager Email] column, then he’ll see the information circled by the red box and other table information associated with this table after filtering.

salesrep.png

About the Sale Rep role, it first filters out the e-mails of the Sales Rep in the Sales Rep[SalesRep Email] and uses the username() to determine if the current user is inside. If he is, he will see the information that belongs to him.

For example, Daniel is the current user, and his is in the Sale Rep role, then hell see the information circled by the red box and other table information associated with this table after filtering.

salesrep2.png

Reference:

Dynamic Row Level Security with Manager Level Access in Power BI

Dynamic Row Level Security with Power BI Made Simple

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Krish89 ,

You can create two roles by clicking the Manage Roles under Modeling: the Manager role and the Sales Rep role. And you need to make sure the relationship between your two tables is correct.

IF(MAXX(FILTER('SalesRep','SalesRep'[Manager Email]=username()),'SalesRep'[Manager Email])=username(),'SalesRep'[Manager Email]=username())
IF(MAXX(FILTER('SalesRep','SalesRep'[SalesRep Email]=username()),'SalesRep'[SalesRep Email])=username(),'SalesRep'[SalesRep Email]=username())

RELATIONSHIP.png

MANAGER.pngsales rep.png

After the roles are created, you can enter the email to test as below:

TEST.png

TEST2.png

You can check more details from here.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Icey ,

Thank you very much for your help and the solution is perfectly working🙂

I would like to understand that the roles(salesrep and manager) are applied on the table(SalesRep) or on the columns inside the SalesRep table.

Also Could you please brief me on the DAX logic you have written?

Thank you!!

Regards,

Krishna.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Krish89 ,

About the Manager role, it first filters out the e-mails of the managers in the ‘Sales Rep’ [Manager Email] and uses the username() function to determine if the current user is inside. If he is, he will see the information that belongs to him.

For example, Anderson is the current user, and his e-mail is in the [Manager Email] column, then he’ll see the information circled by the red box and other table information associated with this table after filtering.

salesrep.png

About the Sale Rep role, it first filters out the e-mails of the Sales Rep in the Sales Rep[SalesRep Email] and uses the username() to determine if the current user is inside. If he is, he will see the information that belongs to him.

For example, Daniel is the current user, and his is in the Sale Rep role, then hell see the information circled by the red box and other table information associated with this table after filtering.

salesrep2.png

Reference:

Dynamic Row Level Security with Manager Level Access in Power BI

Dynamic Row Level Security with Power BI Made Simple

Best Regards,

Icey

Hi @Icey,

The below solution works well in Power BI desktop but when I publish it to the service, the roles are not working.

When i test the roles, the data is not filtering and ended up with error. Is it working for you in the Power BI service?

Krish89_0-1597670266255.png

Thank you!!

Regards,

Krishna.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Krish89 ,

I reproduce your issue when I didn't add the users to the corresponding roles.

test1.png

Only members that are added to the role can see the specified information. RLS is valid if the member is added to the role and does not have editing rights. Please refer to this official document to add users to corresponding roles.

I replace anderson@xyz.com and daniel@xyz.com with my test emails and add the test emails into Manager role and Sale Rep role.

test2.png

test3.png

test4.png

The user(Anderson) in Manager role opens the pbix file as shown below.

test5.png

The user(Daniel) in Sales Rep role opens the pbix file as shown below.

test6.png

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps,then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Icey,

Thank you very much for the explanation and it makes me clear and understandable.

Regards,

Krishna.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.