Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

yakamoz007
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamic RLS - Row Level Security and sharing link

I am a little bit confused. Sorry if I ask a dump question.

I have an report with row level security. That means I use a table with username und email, import this in my Power BI Desktop Report Projekt and make an upload to the Power BI Online Service. Some User can see the all data and others not.

But if I add an user just to my workspace and don'give a access to the report, he get's automatically an access to the report and is shown as Member with direct access. But why can he see the report with the data? I shared him the report via link, to test his access.

He is not in my userlist (dyn.RLS) but has direct access. Maybe I have a lack of understanding that.

I don't want that someone share the report link to others. Only the user who are in my userlist should see the report.

I also don't want that User who have an access to my workspace (where the report is saved) but not to the report, should not see the report.

Why is that not working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please clarify if that is on shared or premium capacity

- RLS will be ignored if the user is member, contributor or admin of the workspace

- on Premium always share the app,do not share the report

- on premium never allow users to reshare the app (uncheck the box)

- learn about the difference between role based (static) RLS and UID based (dynamic) RLS.  Make a choice which one suits your scenario.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bhaskerkumar
Regular Visitor

Dear @lbendlin ,

Many thanks for your input though i d not undersatdn below 
"on Premium always share the app,do not share the report".

also when I check on my PowerBI desktop this does nto work

One of the advantages of a Premium capacity is that the report users do not need to have a Pro license - if you share the right way, via the app.

On your desktop you can only test parts of RLS. The true test has to happen in the service.

yakamoz007
Helper I
Helper I

Yes the user was a member of the report. We changed it in Reader. Now it is working. Thank you.

Member is seeing everything and can share the report via link. Thats not what I want 😄

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please clarify if that is on shared or premium capacity

- RLS will be ignored if the user is member, contributor or admin of the workspace

- on Premium always share the app,do not share the report

- on premium never allow users to reshare the app (uncheck the box)

- learn about the difference between role based (static) RLS and UID based (dynamic) RLS.  Make a choice which one suits your scenario.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.