Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Quarter Selection

Hi Everyone,
I am creating calculated measures to report out on some seats data. I am trying to use the fiscal qtr filter in a calculated measure to calculate "Current Quarter" and "last quarter" like this,

Last Quarter Downloads = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(cce_pro_downloads_enriched[content_download_id]),cce_pro_downloads_enriched[Fiscal_Quarters] = "Q3-2019")
I can use "dateadd" for date formats and number formats. How do I make this quarter selection dynamic for text formats("Q4-2019"), so that I don't have to make this change in the formula, every quarter? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It was using LASTDATE('Asset type'[As_of_date]) In the Current Quarter downloads that was giving you the problem but we also didn't need the filter statement.

Current Quarter = 
VAR _current = FORMAT (  TODAY() ,"yyyy-\Qq" )
RETURN
CALCULATE( SUM ( 'Asset type'[Downloads] ), 'Asset type'[Fiscal_quarter] = _current )
Last Quarter = 
var _last = FORMAT ( EOMONTH( TODAY(), -3 ),"yyyy-\Qq")
RETURN
CALCULATE( SUM ( 'Asset type'[Downloads] ), 'Asset type'[Fiscal_quarter] = _last )

CurrentAndLast.jpg

For your second question a couple of notes.

First you should always write a measure rather than just pulling a value into a visual so for downloads we have.

Total Downloads = SUM ( 'Asset type'[Downloads] )

This lets us use that in further measures, prior week for example:

PW Downloads = CALCULATE ( [Total Downloads] , DATEADD ( 'Asset type'[As_of_date] , -7 , DAY ) )

Then we can put them together for a week over week change

WoW downloads = [Total Downloads] - [PW Downloads]

And again for the % change

WoW % Change = DIVIDE ( [WoW downloads], [PW Downloads] )

WeekOverWeek.jpg

My updated file is attached for you to take a look at.

If this solves your issues please mark it as the solution. Kudos 👍 are nice too.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,
I am creating calculated measures to report out on some seats data. I am trying to use the fiscal qtr filter in a calculated measure to calculate "Current Quarter" and "last quarter" like this,

Last Quarter Downloads = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(cce_pro_downloads_enriched[content_download_id]),cce_pro_downloads_enriched[Fiscal_Quarters] = "Q3-2019")
I can use "dateadd" for date formats and number formats. How do I make this quarter selection dynamic for text formats("Q4-2019"), so that I don't have to make this change in the formula, every quarter? 

Any chance we could see some sample raw data? Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous 
Give these a try.  I beleive they will work how you want.

Current Quarter = 
VAR _Current = "Q" & FORMAT ( TODAY(),"q-yyyy")
RETURN CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(cce_pro_downloads_enriched[content_download_id]),cce_pro_downloads_enriched[Fiscal_Quarters] = _Current)
Last Quarter = 
VAR _Last = "Q" & FORMAT ( EOMONTH( TODAY(), -3 ),"q-yyyy")
RETURN CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(cce_pro_downloads_enriched[content_download_id]),cce_pro_downloads_enriched[Fiscal_Quarters] = _Last)

If this solves your issues please mark it as the solution. Kudos 👍 are nice too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @jdbuchanan71 , @Nathaniel_C 
Thank you for your reply. I tried it and it kinda works but there are some issues. I tweaked your formula and created these measures (fiscal quarter format: 2019-Q4):

Current Quarter Downloads =
var _current = FORMAT([last date],"yyyy-\Qq")
return CALCULATE(SUM('cce-downloads_asset_type'[downloads]),FILTER('cce-downloads_asset_type','cce-downloads_asset_type'[fiscal_quarter] = _current))
Last Quarter Downloads = 
VAR _Last = FORMAT ( EOMONTH( TODAY(), -3 ),"yyyy-\Qq")
return CALCULATE(SUM('cce-downloads_asset_type'[downloads]),FILTER('cce-downloads_asset_type','cce-downloads_asset_type'[fiscal_quarter] = _Last))
But these do not match the values I get by using these filters:
Q4 = CALCULATE(SUM('cce-downloads_asset_type'[downloads]),'cce-downloads_asset_type'[fiscal_quarter] = "2019-Q4")
Q3 = CALCULATE(SUM('cce-downloads_asset_type'[downloads]),'cce-downloads_asset_type'[fiscal_quarter] = "2019-Q3")
The results for these measures look like this (This is correct). Q3-Q4 table.PNG

So I can create a comparison which looks like this:

Q3-Q4 graph.PNG

But after using the dynamic qtr measures, Although the totals are same, the result looks as follows as I cannot create the timely comparison.

dynamic qtr table 1.PNGdynamic qtr table 2.PNG

@Anonymous 

Can you share your .pbix file?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @jdbuchanan71 ,
Thanks for willing to help me out. here's the link to the report. Please let me know if you aren't able to open it.
https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/6c35b5ab-73df-4064-9469-d855cd2a12dc?ctid=fa7b1b5a-7b34-43...
looking forward to hearing from you!
Best,
Akash

Hi @Anonymous 

I wouldn't be able to log into your PowerBI report.  I was wondering if you could upload your PowerBI desktop file (.pbix) to OneDrive or DropBox and share the link here so I can see the data and the structure of the model.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI  @jdbuchanan71 ,
I have uploaded the file to my google drive. here's the link: https://drive.google.com/openid=1HA30k083pI1bcWIMsczM2Z6gKAB1OXEG
Hope this works!
Best,
Akash

It was using LASTDATE('Asset type'[As_of_date]) In the Current Quarter downloads that was giving you the problem but we also didn't need the filter statement.

Current Quarter = 
VAR _current = FORMAT (  TODAY() ,"yyyy-\Qq" )
RETURN
CALCULATE( SUM ( 'Asset type'[Downloads] ), 'Asset type'[Fiscal_quarter] = _current )
Last Quarter = 
var _last = FORMAT ( EOMONTH( TODAY(), -3 ),"yyyy-\Qq")
RETURN
CALCULATE( SUM ( 'Asset type'[Downloads] ), 'Asset type'[Fiscal_quarter] = _last )

CurrentAndLast.jpg

For your second question a couple of notes.

First you should always write a measure rather than just pulling a value into a visual so for downloads we have.

Total Downloads = SUM ( 'Asset type'[Downloads] )

This lets us use that in further measures, prior week for example:

PW Downloads = CALCULATE ( [Total Downloads] , DATEADD ( 'Asset type'[As_of_date] , -7 , DAY ) )

Then we can put them together for a week over week change

WoW downloads = [Total Downloads] - [PW Downloads]

And again for the % change

WoW % Change = DIVIDE ( [WoW downloads], [PW Downloads] )

WeekOverWeek.jpg

My updated file is attached for you to take a look at.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was great!! Thanks a ton!!
Best,
Akash.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.