Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Page Size

I created a report in the Service using the Google Analyics app and then published the report to web.  I also created a report in Power BI Desktop and published it to web.  The first report is responsive when changing the size of the web browser, but the second one is not.  I found that the report automatically created from the app is using a Dynamic page size.  When building your own reports in Desktop or the Service, this page size option is not avaliable. 

I found a question here stating that the Dynamic page size was removed from Desktop in April of 2016 and was going to be replaced by something better.  Does anyone know if/what it was replaced by?

Dynamic.PNG

Right now, when looking at a report that has been published to web, the Dynamic reports of the past look much better.  Thank you.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes. After you choose the Publish to web, the page size of report can no longer be altered. You have to change the page size before publish to web.

Reference: Tips and Tricks for View modes

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

For current Power BI desktop, we can use Page View and Page Size together to create a report that looks its best to fit your screen.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-change-report-display-settings 

And yes, the dynamic page size has been removed since April 2016 update. The reason we removed this option is because we cannot guarantee that our free-form report layouts will scale dynamically without introducing undesired side effects. Specifically, elements that are absolutely positioned to perfectly align with other elements on the canvas will lose their relative positioning to the elements they were supposed to be aligned with and the layout will look broken. What’s worse, this won’t be obvious while the report is being created and can lead to unpleasant surprises when they are viewed by others.

Reference: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/April-update-Page-size-missing-set-Dynamic/td-p/32157 

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

@v-xjiin-msft

Good Afternoon,

While we are on this subject, I have a couple of questions regarding best practices, if I may. I am using an image file as a page backround and I'm finding that even though the different objects may look aligned in the service, they seem to displace when viewed on an Ipad for axample. (+ one of the text boxes doesn't maintain its aspect).

Here is the screenshot from the service:

Service render.JPG

And here is the corresponding screenshot from the Ipad Power Bi app:

Ipad Render.jpg

Just to be clear, the boxes displaying the box shadow effect belong to the image used as the page backround (a jpeg file which was added to the page backround using the "fit" option under the "Image Fit" setting), and the text box on the left and the two graphs are layered on top from within Power BI Desktop.

As you can see, the graphs and the text have displaced silghtly downwards. The text itself equally doesn´t retain the original aspect.

So my question is, what are the best practices to avoid trial and error positioning/formatting? It is ok to correct once, but it gets a bit of a nuisance when you have to do it repeatedly.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Paul.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, and that works great for reports in Desktop and the Service.  The issue is when a report is published to web, as I understand, the page view and page size cannot be altered.  

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes. After you choose the Publish to web, the page size of report can no longer be altered. You have to change the page size before publish to web.

Reference: Tips and Tricks for View modes

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.