Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jim_brower
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Measures, Dax using Switch for Escalation Rates, CPI

RateLookup2017 = SWITCH(VALUES('Escalation'[Escalation]),"Material 1", LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 1"),"Material 2",LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 2"),"Material 3",LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 3"),1)

Hi Community
I am relatively new to DAX - and hoping to get some help on this calculation (before I go back to SQL 🙂 ) I am trying to create a dynamic calculation for Nomincal vs Constant dollars based on multiple rates.

I have 2 main formulas (but is not applying the way I was hoping)

1. Step 1 - Find Rates by Category and Year
    RateLookup2017 = SWITCH(VALUES('Escalation'[Escalation]),"Material 1", LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 1"),"Material 2",LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 2"),"Material 3",LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 3"),1)
  2. Step 2 - Apply Rates based on Selection of Nominal vs Constant
    2017 Dynamic = IF(HASONEFILTER('Escalation'[Escalation]), 
            SWITCH(
                VALUES('Escalation'[Escalation]),
                "Constant",
                CALCULATE(Sum(Data[Amount]),Data[Year] IN {2017} ),
                "Nominal",
                [RateLookup2017]*CALCULATE(SUM(Data[Amount]),Data[Year] IN {2017} )
                ,BLANK()),Blank())

MdxScript(Model) (14, 238) Calculation error in measure 'Measures 1'[RateLookup2017]: Function 'SWITCH' does not support comparing values of type True/False with values of type Text. Consider using the VALUE or FORMAT function to convert one of the values.

OS Version:

Thanks in Advance for any help ( I can email PBIX)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Unfortunatly that didn't work with LOOKUPVALUE() function.......I just went back to IF as a Calculated Column which works fine.

Constant Amount = 
IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 1",Data[Year]=2017),
        LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 1")*[Amount],
            IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 2",Data[Year]=2017),
            LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 2")*[Amount],
                IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 3",Data[Year]=2017),
                LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 3")*[Amount],
IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 1",Data[Year]=2018),
        LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2018],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 1")*[Amount],
            IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 2",Data[Year]=2018),
            LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2018],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 2")*[Amount],
                IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 3",Data[Year]=2018),
                LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2018],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 3")*[Amount],
IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 1",Data[Year]=2019),
        LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2019],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 1")*[Amount],
            IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 2",Data[Year]=2019),
            LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2019],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 2")*[Amount],
                IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 3",Data[Year]=2019),
                LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2019],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 3")*[Amount],                
        )))))))))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Jim_brower this DAX seems need attention:

RateLookup2017 = 
SWITCH(TRUE(),
"Material 1", 	LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 1"),
"Material 2",	LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 2"),
"Material 3", LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 3"),1)

Highlighted above should return True/False value whereas you just have static value. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks - I updated to values - not sure if that is correct.

@Jim_brower  i guess you updated the measure in original post. Did it worked? It should be fine thou.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Unfortunatly that didn't work with LOOKUPVALUE() function.......I just went back to IF as a Calculated Column which works fine.

Constant Amount = 
IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 1",Data[Year]=2017),
        LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 1")*[Amount],
            IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 2",Data[Year]=2017),
            LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 2")*[Amount],
                IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 3",Data[Year]=2017),
                LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2017],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 3")*[Amount],
IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 1",Data[Year]=2018),
        LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2018],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 1")*[Amount],
            IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 2",Data[Year]=2018),
            LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2018],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 2")*[Amount],
                IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 3",Data[Year]=2018),
                LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2018],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 3")*[Amount],
IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 1",Data[Year]=2019),
        LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2019],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 1")*[Amount],
            IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 2",Data[Year]=2019),
            LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2019],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 2")*[Amount],
                IF (AND(Data[Category] = "Material 3",Data[Year]=2019),
                LOOKUPVALUE('Escalation Rates'[2019],'Escalation Rates'[Category],"Material 3")*[Amount],                
        )))))))))

here is another post using switch with tru.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.