Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bgorog
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic M query parameter not working

Hi All,

I'm quite new for Power BI. As first, I have created a report to visualize the queue loads of a UiPath process. The query is working, it is gathering the successful / failed counts of items from the Orchestrator via API. This part is working, I could create a pie chart for that, but now I would like to make some settings - such as date range and queue name selection from a list - with dynamic paramters.

To do this, I have followed the blog-post tutorial (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-dynamic-m-query-parameters), made all the settings as is written, but unfortunately I am not able to see the bind to parameters property in the Model tab.

After this, I have created a new, empty report, and did there all the blog-steps, and for M-query, I have just given back the date as a text. Here also no success, still did not see the bind to property in the Advanced part of the properties

Do you have any idea? May that be, that somehow PowerBI was not updated after the preview option change? (many restart happened, also laptop-restart.)

Would be great to get some help, since I'm struggling with this issue for days already, and without this I cannot move forward. Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@bgorog , Are you suing direct query source. Because this option is only for Direct Query Sources.

Also, check limitations

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-dynamic-m-query-parameters#considerat...

@amitchandak  now I read a bit more after the directquery, but could not find if it is direct or import... but when I have created the blank query as data source. and there I'm using queries like this:

let
    Path = "/odata/QueueDefinitions?$filter=Name eq '" & in_QueueName & "'",

Auth = Json.Document(Web.Contents(BaseUrl, [Headers=[#"Content-Type"="application/json"], Content=Json.FromValue(Credentials), RelativePath="/api/account/authenticate"])),
    Token = Auth[result],

Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(BaseUrl, [Headers=[Accept="application/json", #"Authorization"="Bearer " & Token], RelativePath=Path])),
    value = Source[value],
    ResultRecord = value{0},
    ResultId = ResultRecord[Id]
in
    ResultId

So really not sure, but for me it seems to be direct query.

@amitchandak I'm absolutely not sure, but as far I know, direct query is that query type, which does not store the data in the Power BI model, but always querying for it with any load - as I know, the API is directly for that. Isn't it? I'm using the OData Version 4.0 model API for the query, and I'm getting the data always (with authentication, token, etc.) in application/json (in case this is an important information)

And I could not see anything in the limitation which would be fit for my report.

For the "filter" or parameter data, I'm generating a table, - as written in the blog as well - with this command:

StartDateTable = CALENDAR (DATE(2021,1,1), TODAY())

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.