Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic M Parameter an SQL Server

Good Morning toghether,

we want to use power bi dynamic m paramters in combination with sql server, to improve the performance of the queries.

At this time this fearture is in preview and does not support sql server.

See:

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-dynamic-m-query-parameters

Is there an workaround and does somebody know if sql server is going to be supported wirh the release?

Greetings

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive got a feedback from microsoft regarding this topic.

"at this time the feature is still in preview, and we intend on bringing in additional connector support, though we do not have any timelines in which we can share publicly as of yet. I would continue to monitor the release notes or Power BI blog for updates as Yana has shared.

There are no workarounds for today to enable the SQL Server databases for this particular feature – but if a real-time response and parameter based action is needed I may suggest looking at the use of a Paginated Report or using the Paginated Report visual on a Power BI Report page as these could be some alternative solutions available for use today"

We will try to solve this requirement by a diffrent way (maybe split the data). 

Or we try this workaround: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QiTBXfxzHA

Cheers 

Alex

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive got a feedback from microsoft regarding this topic.

"at this time the feature is still in preview, and we intend on bringing in additional connector support, though we do not have any timelines in which we can share publicly as of yet. I would continue to monitor the release notes or Power BI blog for updates as Yana has shared.

There are no workarounds for today to enable the SQL Server databases for this particular feature – but if a real-time response and parameter based action is needed I may suggest looking at the use of a Paginated Report or using the Paginated Report visual on a Power BI Report page as these could be some alternative solutions available for use today"

We will try to solve this requirement by a diffrent way (maybe split the data). 

Or we try this workaround: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QiTBXfxzHA

Cheers 

Alex

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my reply as a solution!

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can you use "Import" connection mode?For sql,only direct query with Tsql based source are not supported.

Check the limitation below:

• The feature is only supported for M based data sources. The following DirectQuery sources are not supported:

• T-SQL based data sources: SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, Synapse SQL pools (such as Azure Synapse Analytics (formerly SQL Data Warehouse)), and Synapse SQL OnDemand pools
    • Live connect data sources: Azure Analysis Services, SQL Server Analysis Services, Power BI Datasets
    • Other unsupported data sources: Oracle, Teradata, and Relational SAP Hana, PostgreSQL
    • Partially supported through XMLA / TOM endpoint programmability: SAP BW and SAP Hana

Best Regards,
Kelly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kelly,

thanks for your feedback. We cant use the import mode because the dataset would bevome to large.

I know about the limitation. Do you know if the limitation is going to be changed with the relase of this feature?

Greetings

Alex

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Some day maybe,but for currently,it is not supported.

You could subbmit your idea via below link to make it come soon.

Ideas

Best Regards,
Kelly

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , what requirement you want to achieve using this. Based on that alternate can be suggested

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Morning Amit,

thanks for your feedback.

We want to archieve to query just the chosen Product in the report.

Greetings 

Alex

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.