Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic M Code

I have zero knowledge on M code. I am getting a Date table from the SQL database to power bi cube. It's dates goes up to year 2024. I want to limit it to until next March 31from the current date dynamically.

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous I think I got it!

let
    Source = Sql.Databases("DatabaseName"),
    AdventureWorksDW2012 = Source{[Name="AdventureWorksDW2012"]}[Data],
    dbo_DimDate = AdventureWorksDW2012{[Schema="dbo",Item="DimDate"]}[Data],
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(dbo_DimDate, 
        each if [FullDateAlternateKey] <= #date(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()), 3, 31) 
        then [FullDateAlternateKey] <= #date(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()), 3, 31) 
        else [FullDateAlternateKey] <= #date(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()) + 1, 3, 31)
    )
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Try it out and let me know!  🙂

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous sorry this and the other question took a couple of days to resolve.  Would appreciate you marking the solution in both this and the original question.

Happy holiday!

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Yes I understand that you have a date table from SQL but if you only want a finite list of dates from today until the next Mar 31, isn't it just as easy (easier?) to create that list rather than load a list of dates then manipulate them to exclude dates/rows you don't want?

Or maybe there is more to it?  Are you loading more than just dates from SQL?  If so, are you talking about needing to filter out rows so that you keep any additiona data in each record, not just the dates?

regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhilipTreacy 

Date table is starting from 2015 and it already has fields that required for calculations, and past dates are needed for Time Intelligence-based calculation. Further financial year starts from April 1. With the dates goes up to 2024 mess up the Time Intelligence calculation, that's why I need to limit the date table on FY end date with it's other information. 

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

If you just need a list of dates from now until the next Mar 31 then you can create this list in Power Query with this M code.

let
    Source = 

if DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()) >= #date(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()),3,31)

then List.Generate(() => DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()) , each _ <= #date(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow())+1, 3, 31), each Date.AddDays( _ , 1))

else List.Generate(() => DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()) , each _ <= #date(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()), 3, 31), each Date.AddDays( _ , 1))
in
    Source

Regards

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhilipTreacy 

I already have the Date table which is generated by the database up to 2024 I want to limit it to next march 31 from the current date dynamically. If the current date is today it should be ended on 3/31/2021 and if the current date  4/1/2021 end date should be 3/31/2022.

Hi @Anonymous.

I worked this out using AdventureWorks...hopefully this helps you 🙂

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(dbo_DimDate, each [FullDateAlternateKey], if [FullDateAlternateKey] < #date(Date.Year(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())), 3, 31) then [FullDateAlternateKey] < #date(Date.Year(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())), 3, 31) else [FullDateAlternateKey] < #date(Date.Year(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())) + 1, 3, 31))
Anonymous
Not applicable

@littlemojopuppy 

I used the code as follows

= Table.SelectRows(dbo_DimDate , each [Date], if [Date] < #date(Date.Year(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())), 3, 31) then [Date] < #date(Date.Year(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())), 3, 31) else [Date] < #date(Date.Year(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())) + 1, 3, 31))

But I'm getting the following error

Expression.Error: There is an unknown identifier. Did you use the [field] shorthand for a _[field] outside of an 'each' expression?

Can you post a screen shot of all the transformation steps in the Advanced Editor from Power Query along with a screen shot of the error?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@littlemojopuppy 

this is the database

s2.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you post a view of all transformation steps from the Advanced Editor?  (There's a button in the Ribbon in Power Query).  If you have things like connection strings, IP addresses, or anything sensitive you probably want to obscure those first.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  apologize for the delay...had to grocery shop with the wife.

Stuff like this is why I don't like M code.  🙄  Give me a couple minutes to play with it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I think I got it!

let
    Source = Sql.Databases("DatabaseName"),
    AdventureWorksDW2012 = Source{[Name="AdventureWorksDW2012"]}[Data],
    dbo_DimDate = AdventureWorksDW2012{[Schema="dbo",Item="DimDate"]}[Data],
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(dbo_DimDate, 
        each if [FullDateAlternateKey] <= #date(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()), 3, 31) 
        then [FullDateAlternateKey] <= #date(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()), 3, 31) 
        else [FullDateAlternateKey] <= #date(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()) + 1, 3, 31)
    )
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Try it out and let me know!  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @littlemojopuppy 

It worked, thank you for your help. Much appreciated your effort.

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

So I turned you on to this idea in your other post.  M code is not my strongest suit either.

What if you try something like Date <= #Date(Date.Year(Date.From(DateTime>LocalNow())) + 1, 3, 31) so you don't have to maintain it?  It's probably not syntactically perfect but the idea should work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.