Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Hierarchy

Hello Friends,

I have a requirement in one of my reports. Trying to convert from SSRS to the awesome Power BI reports.

I have a report which has different category 
1. Products
2. Country
3. Date

Is it possible to create a dynamic Hierarchy for these 3 categories.? i.e the user should be able to select each of the above three categories in no specific order and the resultset ( which is in a matrix visualization) should change accordingly. The resultset has sales data in case you guys were wondering on the summarized column. Sales fields are Gross Amt, Net Sales, Import Sales, Export Sales etc.

I tried to use bookmarks but apparently it does not change the level of the fields.

In traditional SSRS setup, we have to one report for each of the combination of hierarchy 

Product =>

• (Countries containing this product)
    • Date ranges of these country product combination

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Abhi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Sorry for the delay in seeing this but issues at work. 

Althoiugh I have seen some links to make the hierarchy slicer change they are based on values with the same table:

https://xxlbi.com/blog/dynamic-hierarchies-in-power-bi/

Believe that your options is to create 3 matrix visuals one with each hierarchy level order, then create a bookmar for each one and hiding the other two tables then just add buttons and link them to the bookmarks.

Check example attach.

hierarchy.gif

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you please explain better waht you want to achieve? What do you mean by:

" i.e the user should be able to select each of the above three categories in no specific order and the resultset ( which is in a matrix visualization) should change accordingly."

The use of bookmarks can change the level of the fields but you need to setup everything in the correct way, on your explanation I'm not abble to understand your needs.

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490 (courtesy of @Greg_Deckler)

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Selection Hierarchy 2Selection Hierarchy 2Selection Hierarchy 3Selection Hierarchy 3Selection Hierarchy 1Selection Hierarchy 1

Hello @MFelix

Attached is my exact requirement. I have created 3 sample pages: with different levels of Hierarchy / selection. I want to use bookmarks or something similiar in Power BI to give users the option to select which hierarchy they want to view the reports. I do not want to go in the "creating 3 report pages" route. Below is the link from where I downloaded sample data for Power BI ( for your reference).

Let me know if I was clear.

Abhi

Financial Sample for Power BI

Hi @Anonymous,

I have been travelling work related.

I didn't forgot about this. I will answer soon sorry for the delay.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MFelix

Appreciate the update. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MFelix any help on this is much appreciated ?

Hi @Anonymous,

Sorry for the delay in seeing this but issues at work. 

Althoiugh I have seen some links to make the hierarchy slicer change they are based on values with the same table:

https://xxlbi.com/blog/dynamic-hierarchies-in-power-bi/

Believe that your options is to create 3 matrix visuals one with each hierarchy level order, then create a bookmar for each one and hiding the other two tables then just add buttons and link them to the bookmarks.

Check example attach.

hierarchy.gif

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MFelix

That is just the exact solutions I was looking for. Thanks a ton. You are a true datanaut.

I will definitely consume this . 

Hi guys. I know I'm 2 years late to the party however . . I found this YouTube video by Parker from Bi Elite. The reason for mentioning it here is that this community post is always found in the top spot in Google's search results whenever someone searches for 'Dynamic hierarchies in Power BI'. I recently faced the obstacle @Anonymous did. So I followed the process mentioned in the video. Although there's a different kind of problem I'm facing . .

The functional hierarchy I have in my dataset has 3 levels. Now, ideally, I should only inlcude 2 chiclet slicers (I assume you have watched the video, it's quite informative) & Power BI should automatically show rows from 3rd level of hierarchy when I expand down to the last level. I does do that except when I have expanded ALL the levels, in the rows for last level (within the matrix visual), I get repeated data from most recent levels. How do I get rid off of those extra rows ? I'd also like to mention that if I insert another slicer for the 3rd (implied) level in hierarchy (whatever that may be), then the redundant rows do not appear.

P.S. : Apologies in advance if this sounds confusing but this is my first post in Power BI Community 😅 & I cannot post images or any sort of data due to confidentiality issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors