Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Grouping on aggregated Transaction level Data

I have a table that looks like this 

Capture.PNG

The goal is to dynamically group the sum of the total sales and costs for each product name into High (>35), Medium(31-35), low(<=30).  I applied the dax pattern shown here https://www.daxpatterns.com/dynamic-segmentation/ and it worked well enough to group the total sales and costs for each product into those categories. However, To take this further I'll like to be able to show the distribution of costs for the different groups. So if I clicked on High sales group on the total sales by group visual, it should filter my total cost by group visual to show that distribution. The issue i run into is that the methodology for dynamic grouping uses a support table. As a result, Clicking the high cost category just shows me the high sales category if I have the same support table and does not do anything if i use a different support table from that of the Total cost by category visual. What would be the best way to achive this dynamic grouping with cross filtering capabilities? @Greg_Deckler @Mariusz 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the respose @Mariusz . I actually figured out a solution to this problem. I ended up using 2 support tables to dynamically group the total sales and cost and for each product. I then used an IF statement to filter the visuals correctly, depending on whether I wanted to see a cost distribution for a total sales group or a sales distribution for a total cost group.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Would you be able to demonstrate the desired visually, like excel or something?

Thanks 

Mariusz

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the respose @Mariusz . I actually figured out a solution to this problem. I ended up using 2 support tables to dynamically group the total sales and cost and for each product. I then used an IF statement to filter the visuals correctly, depending on whether I wanted to see a cost distribution for a total sales group or a sales distribution for a total cost group.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.