Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prichter_mk
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Grouping of aggregated data

Hello all,

I have a requirement to apply dynamic column grouping to aggregated data. 

The underlying dataset is a table that contains STORE NUMBER, REGION, VOLUME, SALES, FORECAST. 

STORE NUMBERREGIONVOLUMESALESFORECAST
1AHIGH100120
2ALOW2020
3BLOW3040
4CHIGH120180
5CHIGH130140

The initial presentation of the data will be as follows. The SALES and FORECAST data will be summed across the entire dataset with a count of total stores.

STORE COUNTSALESFORECAST

The users would then like to be apply dynamic grouping of the aggregated dataset without filtering out any of the underlying dataset. In this example, they'd want the options of grouping by data by (1) REGION, (2) VOLUME, or (3) REGION and VOLUME. 

1. Group by REGION

STORE COUNTREGIONSALESFORECAST
2A120140
1B3040
2C250320

2. Group by VOLUME

STORE COUNTVOLUMESALESFORECAST
3HIGH350440
2LOW5060

3. Group by both REGION and VOLUME

STORE COUNTREGIONVOLUMESALESFORECAST
1AHIGH100120
1ALOW2020
1BLOW3040
2CHIGH250320

I've attempted to use slicers for the selection of the groupings but that ends up filtering per selection as one would expect. Any help or direction on how to support the desired functionality would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

P

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@prichter_mk I would recommend to use bookmark to achieve this, basically you create bookmarks to show and hide different visuals and then on click of button call the respective bookmark.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @prichter_mk ,

As parry2k's suggestion, you may create bookmarks for every selected options.

For references:

Use bookmarks to share insights and build stories in Power BI ,

Use bookmarks in Power BI Desktop to share insights and build stories .

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @prichter_mk ,

As parry2k's suggestion, you may create bookmarks for every selected options.

For references:

Use bookmarks to share insights and build stories in Power BI ,

Use bookmarks in Power BI Desktop to share insights and build stories .

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-xicai @parry2k Thanks for the quick reply. I will research the use of bookmarks further, however, the actual scenario that I'm dealing with contains approximately 10 different "group by" selections, not just 2 like I provided in the example. Although possible, it's going to be difficult to create/manage/present a bookmark for each possible selection permutation. 

In addition, there will be multiple filtering slicers that will be selected by the user (for example, SKU #) before the data is ready to be grouped by one of the many optional column groupings. I was hoping there would be a way to dynamically choose which optional column groupings to group by via some mechanism resembling a slicer list. The user workflow does not always dictate that the same column grouping selections will be made for each filtered data set. 

Hi @prichter_mk ,

It is unavailable to get some mechanism resembling a slicer list to control columns of table visual as you desired, you might post your new idea here https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas , and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

As a workaround, you might try the bookmark or create 10 table visuals for every group.

Best Regards,

Amy

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@prichter_mk I would recommend to use bookmark to achieve this, basically you create bookmarks to show and hide different visuals and then on click of button call the respective bookmark.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.