Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic / Flexible Time Frames - User Input

Hi

I have a Calendar table (1 row per day) with an index and a a 'last year' index.  I also have Fact Sales table with the date index and I am using USERELATIONSHIP to calculate sales for this year and for last year.

I want to take this to the next level though and set it up in a way so that a user can input the 'offset' they wish to compare sales against e.g. it could be this week vs last week, this week vs 4 weeks ago, etc..

I could add loads of pre-calculated index columns to my calendar table and use a Slicer and the SWITCH function to allow the user to pick which relationship to use, but it seems over excesive and limited to only what I pre-define for them.

Is there a way a user could pick from a slicer to dynamically determin the index in the column with a calculation?  E.g. The user picks '-14 days' in the offset slicer and the dynamic column = ' [index]-14 ' ?  See example below in red.  This column would change if a user picked a different offset.

I can get this to work as a measure but not as a calculated column.  As a measure I can't use it in a relationship in my model. 

Example calendar:

DateIndexLY IndexDynamic Index
16 June 2020536172529
17 June 2020537173530
18 June 2020538174531
19 June 2020539175532
20 June 2020540176533
21 June 2020541177534
22 June 2020542178535
23 June 2020543179536
24 June 2020544180537
25 June 2020545181538
26 June 2020546182539
27 June 2020547183540
28 June 2020548184541
29 June 2020549185542
30 June 2020550186543

Example measures:

Sales (This Year) = CALCULATE ( sum (FACTSales[Sales]) , USERELATIONSHIP ( DIMDateTbl[Index] , 'FACTSales'[DIMDateTbl.Index] ) )

Sales (Last Year) = CALCULATE ( sum (FACTSales[Sales]) , USERELATIONSHIP ( DIMDateTbl[LY Index] , 'FACTSales'[DIMDateTbl.Index] ) )

If anyone can help it would be massively appreciated! 

I have a multitude of user scenarios to answer with this so it would be great to make this work dynamically!

Thanks,
Si
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Just to let you all know I have resolved this so I now have a slicer on my report that allows the user to select the time 'offset' they want to compare sales against.  E.g. This week vs X number of weeks ago.

• To do this I created a a summary of my Calendar dimension table
  • Added a column with '1' in every row
  • Merge the table with itself on the '1' so every row is joined to every row in the table (new length of table = length of original table x length of original table)
  • Created a new column called 'Date Diff' where I subtract the date from the joined date
  • I then filter out any rows where the date difference is a positive value
let
    Source = DIMDateTbl,
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Index", "Date"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Flat Join", each 1),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Custom", {"Flat Join"}, #"Added Custom", {"Flat Join"}, "Added Custom", JoinKind.FullOuter),
    #"Expanded Added Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Added Custom", {"Index", "Date"}, {"Join Index", "Join Date"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Added Custom",{"Flat Join"}),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Date Diff", each Duration.Days( [Date] - [Join Date])  ),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom2", each [Date Diff] < 0),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Date Diff", "Date", "Index", "Join Date", "Join Index"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Reordered Columns",{{"Date Diff", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

In the model I sit this new table between my sales table and my original calendar table - This means the slicers build from my original calendar dimension table still work.

Data Model:  I have a relationship between the Index of my original Cal Dimension table and the 'join index' in this new table.  And then from this new table I have an INACTIVE relationship from it's 'index' to the date index in my sales table.

The Sales measure uses USERELATIONSHIP and looks like this:

Sales (Filter) = CALCULATE( sum (FACTSales[Sales]) , USERELATIONSHIP( 'DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship'[Index] , 'FACTSales'[DIMDateTbl.Index] ) )

('DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship' is my new table)

The 'Offset Slicer':  IMPORTANT!  I can now add my slicer to reference the 'Date Diff' column in my new table, but it is very important that you have this set to 'single select' so users cannot select multiple 'offsets'.

Then just for presentation I added a new calculated column based on my 'Date Diff' column to make the slicer read better:  

Offset Selection = If ( MOD('DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship'[Date Diff],7) = 0 , format ('DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship'[Date Diff]/7,"#") & " Week" , format ('DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship'[Date Diff],"#") & " Day" ) & IF('DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship'[Date Diff] = -1 || 'DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship'[Date Diff] = -7 , "" , "s" )

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks,

Si

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help @amitchandak @v-alq-msft @Ashish_Mathur  !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Just to let you all know I have resolved this so I now have a slicer on my report that allows the user to select the time 'offset' they want to compare sales against.  E.g. This week vs X number of weeks ago.

• To do this I created a a summary of my Calendar dimension table
  • Added a column with '1' in every row
  • Merge the table with itself on the '1' so every row is joined to every row in the table (new length of table = length of original table x length of original table)
  • Created a new column called 'Date Diff' where I subtract the date from the joined date
  • I then filter out any rows where the date difference is a positive value
let
    Source = DIMDateTbl,
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Index", "Date"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Flat Join", each 1),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Custom", {"Flat Join"}, #"Added Custom", {"Flat Join"}, "Added Custom", JoinKind.FullOuter),
    #"Expanded Added Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Added Custom", {"Index", "Date"}, {"Join Index", "Join Date"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Added Custom",{"Flat Join"}),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Date Diff", each Duration.Days( [Date] - [Join Date])  ),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom2", each [Date Diff] < 0),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Date Diff", "Date", "Index", "Join Date", "Join Index"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Reordered Columns",{{"Date Diff", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

In the model I sit this new table between my sales table and my original calendar table - This means the slicers build from my original calendar dimension table still work.

Data Model:  I have a relationship between the Index of my original Cal Dimension table and the 'join index' in this new table.  And then from this new table I have an INACTIVE relationship from it's 'index' to the date index in my sales table.

The Sales measure uses USERELATIONSHIP and looks like this:

Sales (Filter) = CALCULATE( sum (FACTSales[Sales]) , USERELATIONSHIP( 'DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship'[Index] , 'FACTSales'[DIMDateTbl.Index] ) )

('DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship' is my new table)

The 'Offset Slicer':  IMPORTANT!  I can now add my slicer to reference the 'Date Diff' column in my new table, but it is very important that you have this set to 'single select' so users cannot select multiple 'offsets'.

Then just for presentation I added a new calculated column based on my 'Date Diff' column to make the slicer read better:  

Offset Selection = If ( MOD('DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship'[Date Diff],7) = 0 , format ('DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship'[Date Diff]/7,"#") & " Week" , format ('DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship'[Date Diff],"#") & " Day" ) & IF('DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship'[Date Diff] = -1 || 'DIMDateTbl Custom Relationship'[Date Diff] = -7 , "" , "s" )

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks,

Si

Anonymous
Not applicable

PS The filter direction in the relationship between the Index of my original Cal Dimension table and the 'join index' in the new table is set to BOTH.  

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

This should always be written as a measure, never as a column formula.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

A calculated column can't dynamically interact with user's selection. A measure will reflect the selection of the slicer in time, and the column is refreshed only after loading and clicking the Refresh button, and cannot interact with other visual interactions. 

You have to define a calculated column whenever you want to do the following:
1. Place the calculated results in an Excel Slicer, or see results in Rows or Columns in a pivot table, or use the result as a filter condition in a DAX query.
2. Define an expression that is strictly bound to the current row. 

3. Categorize text or numbers. 

You need to define a measure whenever you want to display resulting calculation values that reflect user selections and see them in the Values area of pivot tables, for example:
1. When you calculate profit percentage of a pivot table selection.
2. When you calculate ratios of a product compared to all products but keeping the filter both by year and region. You can express some calculations both with calculated.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.