Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thmonte
Helper IV
Helper IV

Dynamic Filters based on table/heirarchy

I was looking for the best to achieve a dynamic drop-down filter similar to SSRS parameters.  Maybe there is better way to go about this but, for the report I am building have a hierarchy of locations that is 6 levels.  My report has a reference table of two columns that has the heirarcy of all the locations similar to how the table is setup in this link http://www.daxpatterns.com/parent-child-hierarchies/ 

I created new columns using the PATH expression in that tutorial I pasted.

The problem is, is that some of my parent values are children of themselves as well.  So I do not know if this is a problem but, I essentially want to slicers/filters.  One for the Parent and a second one that changes dynamically for the child based off the Parent selection.

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Perhaps Hierarchy Slicer? https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The heirarchy slicer does work but not for my presentation.  Typically for my SSRS reports I have a two seperate parameters.  One for parent, one for child.  I wanted two dropdown filters for this report that reacts the same way.

Hi @thmonte,

Power BI doesn't have the feature same as the SSRS cascading parameters. You can use the Hierarchy slicer as a temporary workaround. Also vote on this same idea: Cascading filter capability is missing.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
thmonte
Helper IV
Helper IV

I was looking for the best to achieve a dynamic drop-down filter similar to SSRS parameters.  Maybe there is better way to go about this but, for the report I am building have a hierarchy of locations that is 6 levels.  My report has a reference table of two columns that has the heirarcy of all the locations similar to how the table is setup in this link http://www.daxpatterns.com/parent-child-hierarchies/ 

I created new columns using the PATH expression in that tutorial I pasted.

The problem is, is that some of my parent values are children of themselves as well.  So I do not know if this is a problem but, I essentially want to slicers/filters.  One for the Parent and a second one that changes dynamically for the child based off the Parent selection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.