Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mehul26
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamic Default value on slicer based on selected value

I have two slicers, Year and Quarter.  The Year slicer has 'Current Year' and 'Last Year'.  The quarter slicer has Year_Quarter.  I want the quarter slicer to dynamically change based on the year selected.  If Current Year is selected, then selected 'Current Quarter'.  If Last Year is selected, then select, Previous quarter.  NOTE:  Two slicers are not related and should not be.

Here are the assumptions:

1. Current Year/Last Year slicer is not linked to Quarter slicer (This is by design)
  2. Current Year/Last Year slicer only changes Data 1, Data 2 and Data 3.  It has no impact on Data 4  (This is by design)
  3. Quarter Slicer only changes Data 4 and has no impact to Data 1,2 or 3 (This is by design)

Slicers.png

6 REPLIES 6
mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@mehul26 

Your screenshot for Quarters is having force Single select option, so once you select anything it can change autoatically the other options, selection click will not get changed automatically.

However the requirement you mentioned above is possible, you can make changes to Quarter slicer so that it's not force selected. And then link year and Quarter slicers to each other and then edit interaction on visuals as you have mentioned above, if quarter should not impact Data1 then edit the interaction between these.

Hope above is making sense.

@mhossain 

I went ahead and changed the Quarter filer so its no longer a single selected.  Do you happen to have a DAX example to the 2nd part?

@mehul26 

1). You can edit the interaction so that there are no interaction between Quarter slicer and Data1,2,3, same for Current Year/last year slicer.   Edit interaction option you will get under 'Format' tab in toolbar pbi desktop.

OR

2). In the measures add "ALL" dax   e.g  Calculate (measure name/calculation, All(columnName)) This will ignore the selected column in slicer.

Hope above is making sense.

If possible you can share dummy pbix also.

@mhossain 

Attached is the sample file.  Thanks again for taking your time and looking into it.

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0TI9lHp56Cu64f9WIHUItrtMg#SampleYearQtr

@mehul26 

Thanks for the file, unfortunately from the dummy file I am not able to identify what you are trying to achieve, I would suggest please share the pbix with dummy data but with your required visuals and structure.

@mhossain 

If Previous Year is selected, the Year_Qtr_label should default to 'Previous Year Current Quarter.

If Current Year is selected, 'Current Quarter should be selected by default.

Note: The Quarter Data table should not have any impact on Current Year/Previous Year toggle. It should only toggle on Year_Qtr Label.

SampleData.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.