Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pinemoose
Regular Visitor

Dynamic Date slicer

Hello!

I have a report that includes a table with several dates in it, lets call them Date 1, Date 2 and Date 3. Ideally we would like to be able to filter the table by either of Date 1, Date 2 or Date 3 (using a Date slicer).

Rather than have three date slicers on the page, does anyone know if its possible to have something like this :
- One slicer that has 'Date 1', 'Date 2', Date 3'
- One date slicer, that will slice based on the selection from the above slicer

So if a user chooses 'Date 1' in the first slicer, the second date slicer (with the range selector) will then filter the table by that date, if they choose Date 2, it will then be that date.

Thanks in advance 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@pinemoose

I guess there are many dates in your table. So you can group them. I create a test data which may show up your situation.

Dynamic Date slicer_1.jpg

The visuals will be like below.

Dynamic Date slicer_2.jpg

The date slicer will filter Datelower, but the Datelower won’t affect the date slicer. To get this, there are several rules need to be considered.

1. You have to create two tables. Because the two slicers will affect each other in one table.
  2. The Relationship of the two tables has to be single. We just want the Date table filter the Datelower.
  3. The other tables will have relationships with the Datelower table.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Hello! Thanks for that but its not quite what im after - for example the data could look like this (just the dates)

2017-04-18_085706.png

what i would like to be able to do is have the ability to use a slicer (or something else) to select that i will be filtering the data by Date 1 or Date 2 or Date 3

I understand i can put three seperate slicers on the page for Date 1 or Date 2 or Date 3, but just wanting to know if its possible to do it the other way.

@pinemoose

You still need to format your table since three columns of dates are difficult either to create slicers or to make relationships with other tables. You can format the table with Power BI query editor. First select all tthree columns, then click Unpivot Columns.

Dynamic Date slicer_1.jpg

Then we have two ways to create the slicer you want.

1. Use the two columns to create two slicers. Edit interactions as the image belpw. Finally, you can choose Date1, Date2, Date3, and then you still can choose the detailed dates you want. Choose the detailed dates won’t influence the Datekey.
    Dynamic Date slicer_2.jpg
  1. If you think Method 1 is still complicated. You can try with a customer visual - HierarchySlicer. You can download it from https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/show/HierarchySlicer1458836712039.
    Dynamic Date slicer_3.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.