Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kontrast
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Data Refresh

Hello everyone, 

as i wrote in the title, i need a solution for dynamic data updates. 

I have a source (exel file) with a table and i want the dashboard automatically refreshed if the exel file changes. 

I red about different cloud solutions with a shedule (every hour/day) but this takes to long. 

Is there a way to implement such a funktion ?

Thank you in advance! 

Kontrast

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think your best bet is saving this excel file in OneBox.  The sync between OneBox and PowerBI is pretty frequent.

Otherwise, you may need to use Microsoft Flow with a trigger that says "whenever this Excel file updates, force a refresh on Power BI".

If you truly need realtime response in Power BI, you may want to consider using a DirectQuery approach.  However, this will require your dataset to come from a SQL Server connection.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think your best bet is saving this excel file in OneBox.  The sync between OneBox and PowerBI is pretty frequent.

Otherwise, you may need to use Microsoft Flow with a trigger that says "whenever this Excel file updates, force a refresh on Power BI".

If you truly need realtime response in Power BI, you may want to consider using a DirectQuery approach.  However, this will require your dataset to come from a SQL Server connection.

Thank you for your reply!

but yes, it should be nearly realtime and i have no SQL server. 

But since its possible to export data with R :

write.table(trim(dataset), file=”your filepath & filename.txt”, sep = “\t”, row.names = FALSE); 

maybe there is a possibility to import/refresh with R as well ?

@Kontrast,

It is not possible to use R to achieve real-time refresh in Power BI. In addition to other's post, you can purchase Power BI Premium license, which allows to refresh 48  times a day. In other words, you can refresh your dataset every 30 minutes.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.