Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gabrielmm
Regular Visitor

Dynamic Comments DAX

How do I show Comments in a measure?

My goal is to dynamically show the value of a column in a text box (or whaterever visual)

I have 4 fields with comments

[comment1] [comment2] [comment3] [comment4]

and 4 variables

[Level1] [Level2] [Level3] [Level4]

I use the levels as slicers, 

let's say I click on [Level1] I want to assign to the measure so it can only show [comment1], not the rest.

is this possible?

I tried if isfiltered then show values comment1 (or comment2, 3 etc), but didnt work

any ideas?

I tried if is filtered then values comment1 but didn't work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, it's because VALUES returns multiple values. Which is why it's not called VALUE. A measure has to return a single value for each filtering context. If you're trying to display multiple values from the Commentary1 column for each row, you'll need to use the CONCATENATEX function. If there's only one Commentary1 value for each row you can probably use FIRSTNONBLANK.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Gabrielmm This sounds more like a layout issue. If your column and level are column names you need to unpivot so the data is in rows. Then everything will work as you expect. Here is a screenshot of sample data.

The overall table layout is shown, then i use a slicer and a table to show the filter. The overall table is excluded from the slicer filtering interaction which is why it is not filtered.

example2.JPG

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I'm close to have it working ,It's like this:

It's maybe because I have blanks?

No, it's because VALUES returns multiple values. Which is why it's not called VALUE. A measure has to return a single value for each filtering context. If you're trying to display multiple values from the Commentary1 column for each row, you'll need to use the CONCATENATEX function. If there's only one Commentary1 value for each row you can probably use FIRSTNONBLANK.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

There is 1 only comment for each row, FIRSTNONBLANK worked perfectly,Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.