Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TAlvarez
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Column based on aggregated measure

Hello all,

I am trying to create a dynamic dimension based on a slicer, to do this I could use the switch function to populate a column based on a measurement such as max or min from a detached table.  However when I try to do this I have not found a way to make Power BI pass the measurement result to a column in a different table.  With other applications you are able to do this with variables but I can't replicate similar functionality in Power BI.

6 REPLIES 6
achinm45
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hi @TAlvarez

Can you provide a sample of dynamic dimension which you are trying to achieve?

BR,

Achin

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@TAlvarez

We should be able to pass the measurement result to a column in a different table. Please refer to following simple sample.

59.jpg

If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Thank you for your suggestion, I have tried this before and it only gives you the min of the all the column values, no matter the slicers or filters you choose.

@TAlvarez

Please try to create two calculated measures as below. ALLSELECTED looks like a function that is able to understand what the user selected.

MinNum = MIN ( Table1[TestNum] )

TestMeasure = CALCULATE ( [MinNum], ALLSELECTED ( Table1[TestNum] ) )

159.png

Regards,

HI Simon,

I have also tried this before but it won't work either.  Remember I am trying to make a dynamic dimension which means I need a column to change value when a measurement does.  If you input the calculate column value into a column it will alwyas read the max or min value of the total dataset, even if you filter or set any calculation filters.

What Power BI here really needs is a global variable that can be interchanged among tables and measurements.

@TAlvarez

Now variables are only available within the expression where you define them. You can vote this idea (global variable) here.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.