Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rjstreet
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Column Based on Slicer Selection

I have a situation where users want the ability to have a column change the data presented based on a slicer selection.  The analogy would be:

• Table A: Sales (which is linked to buyer and seller)
  • Table B: Buyer
  • Table C: Seller

In this example, the users have a table of sales data (from table A), but the first column can be either a buyer name (from table B) or a seller name (from table C) with the other columns being the sum for either the buyer or seller shown in the current row.  Table A is linked to B and C.  I've tried several different approaches (particularly with a standalone table with "Buyer" and "Seller" for the slicer and a measure that gives the current selection), but it seems like DAX functions within calculated columns can't detect filter changes.  Any thoughts on how to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @rjstreet

A couple of ideas that you can experiment with:

(PBIX file demonstrating these uploaded here)

1. My preferred option:
    • Combine Tables B (Buyer) & C (Seller) into a single BuyerSeller table, with an additional "Type" column specifying whether each row is a Buyer or a Seller.
    • Then you can use a slicer on Type to choose between Buyer/Seller.
    • No 'tricky' DAX is required.
  2. Similar to your idea:
    • Keep Tables B (Buyer) & C (Seller) separate.
    • Make the relationship with Table B active, but the relationship with Table C inactive.
    • Create a disconnected table to choose between Buyer and Seller, with a corresponding measure to harvest the selected value.
    • Set up your Sales measures so that if Buyer is selected, calculation is performed as usual, but if Seller is selected, the relationship with Table B is cleared and the relationship with Table C is activated (using USERELATIONSHIP).
    • With this method, you have to explicitly filter out (blanks) from any filters on Tables B & C, so that when Buyer is selected, all Sellers disappear and vice versa.
    • You will end up with measures that look like:
      Sales Amount = 
      SWITCH (
          [BuyerSeller Selected],
          "Buyer", SUM ( Model2_Sales[Sales] ),
          "Seller", CALCULATE (
              SUM ( Model2_Sales[Sales] ),
              ALL ( Model2_Buyer ),
              USERELATIONSHIP ( Model2_Sales[BuyerSeller], Model2_Seller[Seller] )
          )
      )

Anyway, these are just ideas - see if they are of any use.

Owen 🙂

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
tschris
Regular Visitor

I had to solve this problem myself with a list of 42 columns where I needed to have a single page to plot the sales per day, the items sold per day, the complaints per day etc... the comon dimension was the date but the Y azis had to change from column A to columns B etc.

Since it took me a while to make it happen, I desided to post an example with a dummy sales dataset here. I hope it helps anyone that might face the same issue.

OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @rjstreet

A couple of ideas that you can experiment with:

(PBIX file demonstrating these uploaded here)

1. My preferred option:
    • Combine Tables B (Buyer) & C (Seller) into a single BuyerSeller table, with an additional "Type" column specifying whether each row is a Buyer or a Seller.
    • Then you can use a slicer on Type to choose between Buyer/Seller.
    • No 'tricky' DAX is required.
  2. Similar to your idea:
    • Keep Tables B (Buyer) & C (Seller) separate.
    • Make the relationship with Table B active, but the relationship with Table C inactive.
    • Create a disconnected table to choose between Buyer and Seller, with a corresponding measure to harvest the selected value.
    • Set up your Sales measures so that if Buyer is selected, calculation is performed as usual, but if Seller is selected, the relationship with Table B is cleared and the relationship with Table C is activated (using USERELATIONSHIP).
    • With this method, you have to explicitly filter out (blanks) from any filters on Tables B & C, so that when Buyer is selected, all Sellers disappear and vice versa.
    • You will end up with measures that look like:
      Sales Amount = 
      SWITCH (
          [BuyerSeller Selected],
          "Buyer", SUM ( Model2_Sales[Sales] ),
          "Seller", CALCULATE (
              SUM ( Model2_Sales[Sales] ),
              ALL ( Model2_Buyer ),
              USERELATIONSHIP ( Model2_Sales[BuyerSeller], Model2_Seller[Seller] )
          )
      )

Anyway, these are just ideas - see if they are of any use.

Owen 🙂

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @OwenAuger  I m trying to implement this solution in to my problem but can't help my self.

I have two tables Dimensions and Fact.

Dimension Table:

IDNameJob TitleCountry
1001AManagerUSA
1002BManagerCanada
1003CManagerUSA
1004DCEOSout Africa
1005ECEOChina
1006FAssistantCanada
1007GAssistantIndia
1008HManagerCanada
1009ICEOCanada
1010JManagerChina

Fact Table:

IDNameExpensesDay
1001A19555day 1
1002B68287day 1
1003C89763day 1
1001A45877day 2
1005E69871day 2
1001A36533day 3
1007G62252day 2
1008H24095day 2
1009I80338day 2
1008H15994day 1

Slicer Table:

Country, Job Title, N...

When i select Country, the chart should shows

• Countries (list of coutnries) and Sum of Expenses

but if i switch to Job title in slicer, the chart will show

• Job title (list of job titles ) and Sum Expenses

Note: 

1. I am already using Bookmark solution but it takes lots of time to create new bookmark if requirment is changed during run time. I m looking for automated solution so i don't need to worry if dynamic dimenesion (column) increased or decreased.
  2. I have alreay tried (unpivot method), it is not efficent since i have more columns in my dimenstion table then i have mentioned here in example, Unpivot method will increase rows in my table size and also reduce the performace.
  3. I am using direct query. If any extra tables need to be created i can get it done in direct query (but not unpivot method)

Thanks,

Kulchandra

did you find the solution, please share if you did. i am also facing the same problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

I'm trying to use slicer like a parameter, if a click two times at same slicer item I uncheck the item.

for example, slicer with 2 itens, if I click on item A, only data from item A will show, if I click on item A again, all data will show.

Any Idea?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @OwenAuger

I downloaded the file you sent, but I can't seem to figure out how does this work? You only use columns from the Model1_Sales table and the table below still changes depending on the slicer filter selected. Can you please explain this to me? I really need to implement this in my report.

Thanks 

Hi @Anonymous

Go to Relationships view and it should be clearer.

The BuyerSeller column of the Model1_Sales table is related to the Name column of the BuyerSeller table.

The BuyerSeller table also contains a column Type which indicates whether the current rows is a Buer or Seller. I used this in a slicer to switch between Buyers & Sellers.

Owen 🙂

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

We're using the first option - it's a bit clunky conceptually, but gives the appropriate responses nicely!

rjstreet
Frequent Visitor

Alternatively, being able to swap out the visual based on a slicer selection would work as well (though we don't seem to have a way to do this currently).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.