Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dhusanth
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Calculated Columns using What If Parameter

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this. 

I have below table with columns "Media" & "Spends". I want to create a calculated column "Discount Spends". but discount for each media TV, Radio, Print has to selected from slicer hence it will change, so created what if Parameter for TV, Radio & Print but could not apply that in the calculated column to get discount spends.

Capture.JPGPlease help me to solve this as I am trying for past few days, Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You will never get what you desire if you desire a calculated column that responds to slicers. That's simply not how it works. Columns are calculated once at load time. You need a measure. But, there is not enough information to tell you how to get what you want as a measure.

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for the clarification.

Would like to know if there is a way using measure.

I have a column called Media where two categories "TV" and "Radio". I have an instance every month different discount % applicable for both categories. Eg, for the month Jan - TV = 50% Disc, Radio = 60% Disc, this will dynamically change, selected Discounts for each media has to reflect in spends. Hence, need to have Tv and Radio disc selection in slicers.

Please find the sample Pbix file on below link.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/iylcjh

Would like to know if there is a way using measure.

I have a column called Media where two categories "TV" and "Radio". I have an instance every month different discount % applicable for both categories. Eg, for the month Jan - TV = 50% Disc, Radio = 60% Disc, this will dynamically change, selected Discounts for each media has to reflect in spends. Hence, need to have Tv and Radio disc selection in slicers.

Please find the sample Pbix file on below link.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/iylcjh

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.