Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wrwillits
Helper III
Helper III

Dynamic Calculated Columns using What If Parameter

Can you use What If Parameters to dynamically recalculate a calculated column? I need to allow the user to change dates that are being used to forecast out component values. I currently have a fixed future date in each row of data for each component that I am using to forecast the future value for that componet (value deterorates over time), but the customer wants to make changes to that date on the dashboard and then immediately see the revised forecast based on the slected future date. I tried using a What If Parameter to allow the user to add days to the date (Fixed Date + Parameter days = New Future Date) but it won't recalculate the new date. I also tried a Refresh thinking that the system would recalculate the column vales if I refreshed the data but that didn't work either. Can Parameters only be used to filter a table or with Measures? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
parry2k
Super User
Super User

It can be only used in measures not in columns. You can add a measure for you date calculation and use that.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

here is the link to pbix

Feel free to change calcs as you see fit. all the measure starts with x are the calculated measures.

All there is paramter for path of excel file which you can change to point to you excel file.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
parry2k
Super User
Super User

It can be only used in measures not in columns. You can add a measure for you date calculation and use that.

@parry2k wrote:

Hi parry2k, 
 I encounter the similar issue, and also want to use the IF function in new column.
Could you tell me why it is not support in columns?
Thank you for your reply.

Thanks for hte response.

Unfortunately the remaining useful life for each row of data (each component) needs to be recalculated based on the user selected futrure date so I don't think I can make it work by only adding a measure for the date (I actually tried that but without being able to trigger a recalculation of the row data, it does nothing). 

We are working with components that are installed on commercial aircraft that are leased into operators. What we need to do is to calculate the amount of remaining value each componet has when it is returned off lease. The "dynamic" component comes into play because the Lessor wants to be able to change the lease return date and see what impact the new date has on the remaining life of the components. 

Here's a video of an Excel version of what I'm trying to do.

Dynamic row re-calculation

Sure, it is achievable, if you share the excel file with formulas you have, will work out something, 

Happy to share the Excel example but not sure how to attach a file to the message (no file attachment capability that I can see).

@wrwillits you cannot attach, share it thru google drive or other preferred way.

here is the link to pbix

Feel free to change calcs as you see fit. all the measure starts with x are the calculated measures.

All there is paramter for path of excel file which you can change to point to you excel file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k 

Unable to access to the pbix file, can you reshare it

Hi @parry2k 

Can you please share again the PBI link? I cannot open it, and I am facing a similar issue than this post.

Thanks!

this is very elaborate and helpful.

Although i am trying to do the same with a a range of decimal values instead of date i.e.

a what if paramter created threshold -  0 to 1 with increment 0.1.

my calculated field

x threshold_test2 = if(HASONEVALUE(thresh_test_2[threshold]),VALUES(thresh_test_2[threshold]),0.5) always returns the default 0.5 even if you select any other data from splicer.

Can you please help.

Thanks

this is very elaborate and helpful.

Although i am trying to do the same with a a range of decimal values instead of date i.e.

a what if paramter created threshold -  0 to 1 with increment 0.1.

my calculated field

x threshold_test2 = if(HASONEVALUE(thresh_test_2[threshold]),VALUES(thresh_test_2[threshold]),0.5) always returns the default 0.5 even if you select any other data from splicer.

Can you please help.

Thanks

Great, thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.