Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

charleshale
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Dynamic CAGR Calcs

Let's say I want to return the last date independent of a visual's date content.    Simple:   

Var _MaxDate = Max (/datecolumn being measured/)
Var _Lastdate = CALCULATE( [_MaxDate] , all (DimDate) )   //dimdate is my generalized date table
RETURN
_LastDate

Results work: 

charleshale_0-1603860627228.png

Let's say however that I want to return a measure that in turn uses this date for its calculation, such as revenue for the quarter ending 9/30 (and ideally dynamic so that if the visual is a year, it grabs year ending -- although that part I know how to do using hasonevalue).      Anyway, why I am struggling to fix a value at a given date if I can get the date pegged? 

The context is that  I am trying to build a dynamic CAGR function that shows CAGR based on most recent ending value matching the visual period.   So if it's a quarterly chart and the last date is 9/30/2020, that would be the ending value for all calculations, with the starting value being the date context

The measures works in the following except for making it variable for quarter / year etc (although I'm planning on using hasonevalue to fix that) and fixing the _endingvalue

CAGR = 
VAR startingyear = min(DimDate[Year])  //this returns year of current year
VAR latestyear = CALCULATE( max(DimDate[Year] ), all (DimDate) ) // this returns year as 2020 always
VAR _N = latestyear - startingyear  +   1     // CAGR = EV/BV ^ (1/N) - 1

VAR _StartingValue = CALCULATE([^$Tx_PL+BS],DimDate[Year]= startingyear)    //[^$Tx_PL+BS] is a measure of GL transactions 
VAR _EndingValue = CALCULATE([^$Tx_PL+BS],DimDate[Year] = latestyear, ALL(DimDate))    struggling to come up with something that always pulls the last period of whatever periods the visual is showing

VAR cagr = 
   POWER(
      DIVIDE(_EndingValue, _StartingValue )
      , ( 1 / _N ) )

RETURN
cagr

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @charleshale,

Did you solve the problem? I saw your post in the unanswered section. Just out of curiosity, are you looking at the following kind of behaviour by the measures?

Dates1.jpg

Dates2.jpg

Please note that I just used the same calendar table to fix the last date using a slicer. But in a real scenario, the last date that is fixed will be retrieved from another transaction table. I used a slicer only for illustration.

Regards,

Sreenath

Well, it's complicated.   There's a bug  in PowerBI that has been messing with data type date where it shows data but is treated as datetime such that I need to wrap date function in INT().   This has been the underlying problem.   @marcorusso has reported it.   

On this specific example, #1, the following is a better hasonevalue() construction for identifying a date's period -- much simpler.  I recommend it.   

VAR PeriodType =
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),        
         // Complete month selected
            HASONEVALUE ( 'DimDate'[YearMonthnumber] ),
            "month",

// Complete quarter selected
            HASONEVALUE ( 'DimDate'[YearQuarter] ),
            "quarter",  

// Complete year selected
            HASONEVALUE ( 'DimDate'[Year] ),
            "year"

)
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        PeriodType,
        "year", CALCULATE ( [^$RevsK_USDE], PREVIOUSYEAR ( 'DimDate'[Date] ) ),
        "quarter", CALCULATE ( [^$RevsK_USDE], PREVIOUSQUARTER ( 'DimDate'[Date] ) ),
        "month", CALCULATE ( [^$RevsK_USDE], PREVIOUSMONTH ( 'DimDate'[Date] ) )
    )

And here it is the super-duper "flexi-CAGR" I settled on :

}CAGR =      //NOTE - this uses all date equations at left for a CAGR that is dynamic based on period
VAR PeriodType =
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),        
         // Complete month selected
            HASONEVALUE ( 'DimDate'[YearMonthnumber] ), "month",   
         // Complete quarter selected
            HASONEVALUE ( 'DimDate'[YearQuarter] ), "quarter",      
        // Complete year selected
            HASONEVALUE ( 'DimDate'[Year] ), "year"  )
VAR startingyear = min(DimDate[Year])  //this returns year of current year
VAR MaxDate = CALCULATE( max(DimDate[Date] ),  CALCULATETABLE(fGL, REMOVEFILTERS()) ) 
VAR LastYear2 = CALCULATE( max(DimDate[Year] ),  CALCULATETABLE(fGL, REMOVEFILTERS()) ) // BETTER - RETURNS MAX DATE IN fGL whereas CALCULATE( max(DimDate[Year] ), all (DimDate) ) returns max dimdate.  Also  LASTNONBLANK(ALL(DimDate[Year]),DimDate[Year]) = much worse.  almost never use because iterator
VAR LastQTR2 = CALCULATE( max(DimDate[YearQuarterNumber] ),  CALCULATETABLE(fGL, REMOVEFILTERS()) ) 
VAR LastMonth2 = CALCULATE( max(DimDate[YearMonthnumber] ),  CALCULATETABLE(fGL, REMOVEFILTERS()) ) 
// VAR _EndingValueYear = CALCULATE ( [^$Tx_PL+BS], FILTER ( ALL ( DimDate ), DimDate[Year]  = MAXX ( ALL ( 'DimDate' ), 'DimDate'[Year] )))    //less efficient than below
VAR _Endingvalue = 
    SWITCH (
        PeriodType,
        // if wanted cal yr only "year", CALCULATE([^$Tx_PL+BS],DimDate[Year] = latestyear, ALL(DimDate))  ,
        "year",  CALCULATE([^$Tx_PL+BS],DimDate[YearQuarterNumber] >= LastQTR2-3 && DimDate[YearQuarterNumber] <= LastQTR2, ALL(DimDate)) ,
        "quarter", CALCULATE([^$Tx_PL+BS],DimDate[YearQuarterNumber] = LastQTR2, ALL(DimDate)) ,
        "month", CALCULATE([^$Tx_PL+BS],DimDate[YearMonthnumber] = LastMonth2, ALL(DimDate)) )
VAR _N = 
    SWITCH (
        PeriodType,
        // if wanted cal yr only "year", CALCULATE([^$Tx_PL+BS],DimDate[Year] = latestyear, ALL(DimDate))  ,
        "year",  LastYear2 - startingyear  +   1 ,
        "quarter", LastQTR2 - min (DimDate[YearQuarterNumber])   ,
        "month",  DATEDIFF( min(DimDate[Date]), MaxDate, MONTH)/12)
VAR _StartingValue = CALCULATE([^$Tx_PL+BS],DimDate[Year]= startingyear) 
VAR cagr = 
   POWER(
      DIVIDE(_Endingvalue, _StartingValue )
      , ( 1 / max(1,_N) ) )
RETURN
max(0,cagr - 1)

It looks complicated but pretend fGL is any old GL.    Basically there's a set of variable dates for the N in the CAGR, and the concept of a YearQuarterNumber to help make the counts easier ----- and definitely much easier without a date-datetime bug!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.