Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Snir_Shaked
Frequent Visitor

Durations

Hi,

What is the best way to represent durations in PBI?

I need to represent a long process durations.

Currently the durations represents as days, and it works good to describe the all process because usually it can take more then few days, but When drilling down to step in the process It becomes not understandable to the user because each step in the process can take several minutes, (20m = 0.013d).

In addition, it couldn't be string since I need sort/aggregate this column.

Thanks in advance to the assistants.

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI  @Snir_Shaked,

In fact, I do not so recommend you to use a larger unit to store small value, these values accuracy will be reduced during unit conversion.

In my opinion, I will use a small unit(total second) to record these values and use the expression to calculate correspond conversion results if necessary.

Calculation priority: aggregation > transform. (Notice: do aggregation on values before unit conversion, it can reduce the deviation caused with unit conversion)

Aggregating Duration Time 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Snir_Shaked 

in power query editor mode you can set Data type as Duration for your field

according https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-data-types 

Duration – Represents a length of time. It’s converted into a Decimal Number Type when loaded into the model. As a Decimal Number type it can be added or subtracted from a Date/Time field with correct results. As a Decimal Number type, you can easily use it in visualizations that show magnitude.

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

LinkedIn

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Thanks but decimal is not good enought for me because this number can be days or minutes, it not understandable to the end user when the report shows 0.0013 days.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.