Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Re: Duration wrongly converted to Date-Time type

in the Query Editor - if I use the format

hh:mm:ss.000

in Enter Data I can change the data type to duration and only AFTER that to number

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjCwMjC0MjTUMzQxUIrVgQkYmOpZWiALGBrrGZqhqDDRMzRAETDTMwEJxAIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type duration}}),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", type number}})
in
#"Changed Type1"

but if I import the same from Excel I cannot convert to duration, only to number but it adds the 1 to the value for some reason

does it work the same for you?

@Stachu only in the power query you can change the data type to the duration, but in the desktop view, you can't. 

According to this link:

"The Data Type drop down in Query Editor has two data types not currently present in Data or Report View: Date/Time/Timezone and Duration. When a column with these data types is loaded into the model and viewed in Data or Report view, a column with a Date/Time/Timezone data type will be converted into a Date/Time, and a column with a Duration data type is converted into a Decimal Number."

and I don't know how we can convert the decimal number back to the duration, outside the power Query. 

Super User
Super User

for the purpose of the calculation you can keep it as a decimal number, and use e.g. FORMAT in DAX to present it in more user friendly manner

the disadvantage is you will need 2 sets of measures (FORMAT turns values to text)

PowerBI does not currently support milliseconds in date time datatype. I solved the problems like follow:

convert the excel doc to general, load it into PowerBI, and multiply the value by 86400 to get the total number of seconds.