Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

acrscotland

Duration conversion issue (CVS)

Hi all,

I'm struggling with what I feel should be a simple issue!  I have a CSV file coming from some time tracking software I use.  The format is HH: MM: SS and represents the duration of a task. When imported into Power BI, it looks like this (format of the column is 'Time').  I then parse this and convert myself into a decimal for the purposes of charting:

2017-02-10 15_54_39.png

As an aside, converting to Duration doesn't work and triggers the following error:

2017-02-10 15_57_17.png

Anyway, all is well until I have a duration >24 hours.  Then it get's upset:

2017-02-10 15_59_50-Finance - Query Editor.png

I've tried converting to Text but then it tries to convert it to an actual Time of Day and that's no good.  Any idea how I can handle this situation?

Thanks in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just made a small working sample.

First I duplicated the Duration column. Then I used the "Split Column" function. That created 3 columns containg hours, minutes and seconds.

02.PNG

03.PNG

04.PNG

Hope this works with your data, too!

JJ

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
DoubleJ
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

How about you

- convert the values to a string

- split the string value in 3 columns (hours, minutes, seconds) (split by the ":" character)

- add a calculated column that computes the duration with these 3 values?

JJ

Thanks for such a quick suggestion.  This is actually what I tried first but unfortunately, when converting the column to 'Text' (I'm doing this within the Query Editor, it converts to the following, which I can't parse since it's no longer a duration (these are the same values as I pasted above so as an example, 00:30:00 (30 mins) is converted to 12:30 AM:

2017-02-10 16_14_40.png

Is there a different way to convert that you had in mind?  It doesn't work once the import has completed since any hours >24 error out during import.

I just made a small working sample.

First I duplicated the Duration column. Then I used the "Split Column" function. That created 3 columns containg hours, minutes and seconds.

02.PNG

03.PNG

04.PNG

Hope this works with your data, too!

JJ

This is perfect, thanks!!  I realized that somewhere along the line I can converted the column to something else along the way and that screwed me up.  This solution has me up and running - thanks!

you're welcome, glad I could help 🙂

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Alternatively Smiley Happy

Add Column tab => select column => Time button => Hour

repeat 2 more times  => select column => Time button => Minute and then again for a Second column

QE - Add Time Columns.png

DoubleJ
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

nice solution!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

When I have a csv fle containing:
Input
02:00:00
03:30:20
40:00:00

Then the following code works with me:

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\Marcel\Documents\Forum bijdragen\Power BI Community\Durations from csv.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=1, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
// Split text at ":" (list of 3 items) and convert to number:
    Split = Table.AddColumn(#"Promoted Headers", "d", each List.Transform(Text.Split([Input],":"), Number.From)),

// Get duration from the set 3 numbers
    Duration = Table.AddColumn(Split, "Duration", each #duration(0,[d]{0},[d]{1},[d]{2}), type duration)
in
    Duration
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.