Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amerjaroudi

Duration Time more than 24 hours

Hi,

once we group one cell and having multiable duration and SUM of them is equal more than 24 hours as duration is not appeared all total example 20:10:10 (HH:MM:SS) + 10:10:05 it should shows as 30:20:15 ..

Any help here ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @amerjaroudi 

You need to treat travel time as a duration in Power Query then bring that into PBI Desktop where it will be a decimal.

You can then write a measure to display your travel time in a friendly H:M:S format - see this solution for code and an explanation

Solved: Converting decimal hours to friendly format (D:H:M... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Leaving the travel time as decimal in PBI means you can do maths with it.

You can uplaod your PBIX file to OneDrive or Dropbox and then link to it from here.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @amerjaroudi 

You need to treat travel time as a duration in Power Query then bring that into PBI Desktop where it will be a decimal.

You can then write a measure to display your travel time in a friendly H:M:S format - see this solution for code and an explanation

Solved: Converting decimal hours to friendly format (D:H:M... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Leaving the travel time as decimal in PBI means you can do maths with it.

You can uplaod your PBIX file to OneDrive or Dropbox and then link to it from here.

Regards

Phil

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

If your column is already a duration, you can add a custom column with

= Duration.TotalHours([DurationColumn]

If your column is a Time, you can add a custom column with

= Duration.TotalHours([Time]-#time(0,0,0))

Either way, you'll end up with hours as a decimal that you can then add up for analysis.  You could use the other Duration.Totalxxx functions if you don't want hours.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @amerjaroudi 

Please always supply sample data so we don't have to guess what you are doing.

I presume you are talking about Durations in Power Query?  But by the format you are using you may be using Times rather than actual Durations?

A Duration in Power Query is actually a decimal number describing whole days e.g. 1.25 is 1 day and 8 hours.

When you bring these durations into Power BI (the Data Model) you'll see them as decimals.

So to add durations you first must store them as durations, and adding them is just as simple as adding decimals.

Please provide some sample data so I can see what you are actually doing.

Regards

Phil

Thanks for your reply ..

I made time differance between two columns "Depart" and "Arrival" and called "Travel_Time" as duration in (Query Editor) then I choose "Region" coulmn to table visualization and didn`t find (sum of travel_time) only count found it,, I make new measure of Travel time "

SumTravel = SUM('CM History'[Travel_Time])" and added to same table, first row (region_1) the sum should be 1923:47:21, this is my concene here it not showing if more than 24 hours 

also let me know how I can upload the sample data source

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.