Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ghouse_peer
Post Patron
Post Patron

Duration Days

Hello guys,

I need to calculate and display the duration days. The calculation is 

I have a 2 tables: 1) 'Dates' table (created using calendarauto())

2) 'Tickets' table    Columns: Ticket opened Date, Restored date, Ticket closed date(all are in date/time format),Ticket Number

If Restored date is having a date then 'Restored date - Ticket opened date', if Restored date is empty then Ticket closed date - Ticket opened date. This should return  the duration days(Coumn) in decimals. For ex" 2.3 Days, 7.2 Days. 

After getting the days. I need to show them in the ranges like . For ex: If it returns 2.3 it should fall under 0-2 Days. If it returns 7.2 it should fall under 6-10 days.

Finally i need two columns. 1) Duration  2) Days Ranges . Kindly refer  below.

1) Duration column has days

Ticket Opened Date           Restored DateTicket Closed Date Duration
5/29/20206/1/2020 3.2
6/2/2020 6/10/20208.7
6/15/20206/20/2020 5
6/12/2020 6/15/20203.3
5/15/20205/20/2020 5.2
5/29/2020 6/2/20204.3
6/1/20206/10/2020 9.2
6/2/2020 6/6/20204.7
6/2/20206/11/2020 9.2
6/3/2020 6/6/20203.3

2) These are the Days Ranges. which need to be created and mapped to above calculation. 

0-2 Days
3-5 Days
6-10 Days
11-30 Days
31-60 Days
61-90 Days
91-120 Days
121-150 days
151-180 days
181+ Days

Final result should be 2 columns 1)Duration 2) Days Range.

Kindly Help me with solution. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The first block of M code is not a measure but an example of how to create the Duration column.  Basically, in the query editor on the Add Column tab, click on Custom Column and then put an expression like this in the pop up box, substituting your actual column names in.

= if [Ticket Closed Date] = null then Duration.TotalHours([Restored Date]-[Ticket Opened Date])/24 else Duration.TotalHours([Ticket Closed Date]-[Ticket Opened Date])/24

Then, hit Close & Apply to load the data with the new column, and then click on New Column in the ribbon and enter the DAX expression to get your new Days Range column (follow the pattern started to add more date ranges). 

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ghouse_peer
Post Patron
Post Patron

@mahoneypat Thanks for the solution. Got the ranges which is required. Thank you.

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @ghouse_peer 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

c1.PNG

You may create two measures as below.

Duration = 
var _restoredate = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Restored Date])
return
IF(
    NOT(ISBLANK(_restoredate)),
    var hours = DATEDIFF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Ticket Opened Date]),_restoredate,HOUR)
    var result1 = INT(hours/24)+MOD(hours,24)/24
    return
    result1
    var hours = DATEDIFF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Ticket Opened Date]),SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Ticket Closed Date]),HOUR)
    var result2 = INT(hours/24)+MOD(hours,24)/24
    return
    result2
)

Date Range = 
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Table'[Ticket Opened Date]),
    SWITCH(
        TRUE(),
        [Duration]>=0&&[Duration]<=2,"0-2",
        [Duration]>=3&&[Duration]<=5,"3-5",
        [Duration]>=6&&[Duration]<=10,"6-10",
        [Duration]>=11&&[Duration]<=30,"11-30",
        [Duration]>=31&&[Duration]<=60,"31-60",
        [Duration]>=61&&[Duration]<=90,"61-90",
        [Duration]>=91&&[Duration]<=120,"91-120",
        [Duration]>=121&&[Duration]<=150,"121-150",
        [Duration]>=151&&[Duration]<=180,"151-180",
        "181+"
    )
)

Result:

c2.PNG

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-alq-msft Thanks for the suggestions, solutions which u hv provided. It helped me a lot to learn how we can workaroud in another way. The way u showcased the solution through PBIX file. Thank you very much.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here is an example query with your data that shows how to get your Duration Column

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("dY9LCsAgDESvUrIWP0mj9Szi/a/R1PoJ0i4EHZ6PmVKAHWaHHj0YiC6M6yGHLEI1RWLUsVB+vC+bOhJ4WdBrngexW+YPstQYVhnvll5G9309U3t2jZqhuz50/psUlyTthEjCt4R+JG1QvQE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Ticket Opened Date" = _t, #"           Restored Date" = _t, #"Ticket Closed Date" = _t, #" Duration" = _t]),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(Source,{{"           Restored Date", "Restored Date"}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Ticket Opened Date", type date}, {"Restored Date", type date}, {"Ticket Closed Date", type date}, {" Duration", type number}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "DurationNew", each if [Ticket Closed Date] = null then Duration.TotalHours([Restored Date]-[Ticket Opened Date])/24 else Duration.TotalHours([Ticket Closed Date]-[Ticket Opened Date])/24),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"DurationNew", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

You can then use SWITCH(TRUE() ... in a Calculated Column to get your Range using this pattern

Range =
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    Tickets[ Duration] <= 2, "0-2 Days",
    Tickets[ Duration] <= 5, "3-5 Days",
    Tickets[ Duration] <= 10, "6-10 Days"
)

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

@mahoneypat  Kindly elaborate please( I mean step by step). I am unable to distinguish between these measures.

Kindly help.

The first block of M code is not a measure but an example of how to create the Duration column.  Basically, in the query editor on the Add Column tab, click on Custom Column and then put an expression like this in the pop up box, substituting your actual column names in.

= if [Ticket Closed Date] = null then Duration.TotalHours([Restored Date]-[Ticket Opened Date])/24 else Duration.TotalHours([Ticket Closed Date]-[Ticket Opened Date])/24

Then, hit Close & Apply to load the data with the new column, and then click on New Column in the ribbon and enter the DAX expression to get your new Days Range column (follow the pattern started to add more date ranges). 

Regards,

Pat

@mahoneypat  Thanks for the solution. I got the required result. But i have one  Problem the order is not the same.

trial pic.JPG

when i took tht column in table it is showing this way. I need this in orderwise. ex: 0-2 Days next 3-5 Days next 6-10 Days. As discussed earlier. Kindly help.

Hi, @ghouse_peer 

There is no direct way to solve the problem. As a workaround, you may create a new table with range and index columns. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Test:

h1.png

Then you may create a measure as below.

Rank = LOOKUPVALUE(Test[Index],Test[Range],[Date Range])

Finally you can click the measure column header to sort the table visual.

h2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.