Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gavinfb
Helper I
Helper I

Duplicates in report but not in source

Hello,

I am having a weird issue.  I am seeing duplicates in Power BI report but not in the Power Query editor.  Any idea what can cause Power Bi to "create" extra records when they dont exists in the query? 

Power Query view

Power Query viewPower Query view

Report view

Report viewReport view

Table view in Power BI

Data table viewData table view

thanks

Gavin

8 REPLIES 8
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @gavinfb 

Have you clicked 'Close and Apply' in 'Query Editor' before you see the data in table view in Power BI Deskto? I'd like to suggest you update your Power BI Desktop to the latest version.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello all,

Sorry for the delayed reply.  I've been trying to limit the number of information in the query in order to identify the reason for the duplicates...still in vain.

This is what I did:

1. Create 2 queries: Query 1 filter from the source data only the parts that I see appearing more than once in my previous example.  Query 2 is query 1 without the filter on specific parts 

2. I see duplicates in both queries but not on the same parts.  I do not have those duplicates in the source data.

Without remove duplicatesWithout remove duplicates

3. I apply "Remove Duplicates" and this cleans the duplicates in Query 1 but not for all parts in Query 2.  I don't understand why the remove duplicates didn't work 😕

Applied remove duplicatesApplied remove duplicates

I can send the pbix but I cannot see the attach functionality 

I am using the August version of Power BI. 

thank you

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@gavinfb , power sometime provides data based on the first 1000 rows only. Scroll down on unfiltered data and check

That part number should be twice as per data or not?

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @gavinfb ,

Can you try sorting your data on PART NUMBER colmn and see how many rows are there for this Part Number value?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hello @Pragati11 ,

Do you see the embedded pictures in the original post? They are all filtered on the part number (there is a typo numer instead of number).

Gavin

Hi @gavinfb ,

Yes I see that screesnhot. One question, you are not merging this table with any other tables?

Is it possible to share your pbix file?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@gavinfb 

Power Query view is the only preview of data. Make sure you refreshed it

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Hello @az38 , it is refreshed 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.