Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robofski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Duplicate report using the same Dataset

I want to create a new version of one of my existing reports (to take advantage of the new filters across report option).

The ways I know to do it all have an issue that I'd like to avoid!

1) Copy and change the name of the PBIX file make modifications and publish.

Issue - Changes to the dataset will need to be made in two PBIX files

Issue - Both datasets will need to be refreshed

2) Create a new report connecting to the data in the PBI Service

Issue - You can't copy and paste vizuals etc. between Power BI reports so I'd have to recreate all the vizuals (and there are over a dozen pages in the report)

Can anyone suggest an alternative option?

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robofski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Templates wouldn't be the solution for me as when the template report gets published to the service the data would go with it and then require refreshing.

I did however find a solution so I'm posting it here in case anyone else has the same need.

Created a copy of the Power BI file giving it the name of the new report, so now I have a duplicate with all my data and visuals.

Deleted all the tables and queries from the report.  All the visuals still there but obviously all broken now as there's no data.

Get data from the BI Service and select the same dataset the report was originally based on and hey presto all the visuals work again.

Now when I publish to the service it's only a report and will stay connected to the original dataset so no duplicate data to refresh.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
burtta
Advocate I
Advocate I

When attempting this solution, I received a prompt after selecting the dataset from the Power BI service. Any suggestions?

burtta_0-1662648369474.png

@burtta No expert on this, however when connecting to another PBI data source, you need to remove ALL tables. The error you receive suggests you are already connecting to another data source. 

My advice is if you want an additional data source to the second PBI report, then you need to add it to the original PBI dataset you are pointing the new report towards.

robofski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Templates wouldn't be the solution for me as when the template report gets published to the service the data would go with it and then require refreshing.

I did however find a solution so I'm posting it here in case anyone else has the same need.

Created a copy of the Power BI file giving it the name of the new report, so now I have a duplicate with all my data and visuals.

Deleted all the tables and queries from the report.  All the visuals still there but obviously all broken now as there's no data.

Get data from the BI Service and select the same dataset the report was originally based on and hey presto all the visuals work again.

Now when I publish to the service it's only a report and will stay connected to the original dataset so no duplicate data to refresh.

Hi!

Thank you very much for your advice! I am experiencing the exact same problem but I just do not understand a part of the solution you adopted.

Once created the duplicate dashboard, did you downloaded it? And then you deleted all the tables and queries from the report using PBI Desktop?

Did you have any computed measure or column?

And, finally, did you connected on PBI Desktop to the Dataset in PBI Service? 

Today I think in the service you can create a copy of an exisitng report and keep it connected to the same datasource so it should be much simplier.  This solution was before this existed. 

Many thanks for sharing your solution!

I know this is almost 4 years old, but this was extremely helpful. I can now refresh over 30 reports in a single step.  

@robofski Great tip!

Thanks,

Rich

v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@robofski

In your scenario, I would suggest you to try Power BI Templates:

Power BI Templates 

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.