Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Abhaykumar
Employee
Employee

Duplicate data in Table visualization - Displaying as is Data

I want ot display a table from SQL server as is in PowerBI Table visualization. However, PowerBI seems to remove the duplicates from the table when charted.

Table in Query Editor with duplicates :

2016-04-29 14_14_18-Query Editor.jpg

When the table is displayed as 'Table' visualization:

2016-04-29 14_16_46-Power BI Desktop.jpg

Is there a way to change this behaviour and d

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Abhaykumar - You could also add an Index column to your query on import so that you have a unique number. Power BI is first and foremost a data aggregation and visualization tool, it sort of assumes you want to DO something with the data, not just display it raw.

That being said, surprisingly, I have not see this posted in Ideas, so I would recommend that you submit it and post the link back here so we can vote for it.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Vishnu97

I'm facing issue like I need to load the table which should have 500 rows out of that 300 rows will be duplicated. 

But currently in table visual view, it is pulling only the unique rows which is 200 rows in my case. But i wanted to include all the 500 rows eventhough it have duplicates. can you help me with the ways to fix this ?

AhmedMahmoud

I can't believe that we are in 2023 and this problem is not solved from 2016.

Power BI is a powerful software and developers till now cant solve a simple issue 

What a waste of time surfing the internet to find a solution of a simple problem like this one for hours.

Have you find any solution for this issue. If so, please let me know.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Abhaykumar @v-qiuyu-msft @Greg_Deckler 

Are there any updates/progress on the above mentioned issue? 

Thanks, 
Jash. 

Hi,

@Abhaykumar @v-qiuyu-msft @Greg_Deckler

I'm also facing the similar issue, Is there any solution/update on this?

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as i can see there isn't. It's crazy that this is such a basic thing and cannot be done. Also i don't agree with the point "this is by design". The user should have ultimate control over whether the data is showed "as-is" or being aggregated in any way. So in the worst case, there MUST be a mechanism allowed to turn this off and allow duplicates in the table visual to show. Unreal!

@Anonymous well said, and this is unfortunately a thought that comes to mind every day I work with Power BI.  However, it is still a great tool, it's just frustrating to see some of these seemingly easy-to-fix issues remain unsolved as time goes on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I really need to de-aggregate duplicate values in the table viz and see all entries. 

Is there any update on this??

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also having this problem.  We are trying to dig into financial details and want to be able to see which payments are duplicated (and thus erroneous), but the Power BI Desktop table doesn't show duplicates, it shows each unique row only.  I get that this is an aggregate tool, but it seems like the table should have a property that allows you to show distinct or show raw.

Power BI Screenshot.jpg

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can show a count of each code for each date? Would that work?

Thanks @Sean for your reply. This is a work around that I am using right now. However, it is baffling that i cannot display data as is. I wanted to explore if there is any way to turn auto-unduplication off.

@Abhaykumar - You could also add an Index column to your query on import so that you have a unique number. Power BI is first and foremost a data aggregation and visualization tool, it sort of assumes you want to DO something with the data, not just display it raw.

That being said, surprisingly, I have not see this posted in Ideas, so I would recommend that you submit it and post the link back here so we can vote for it.

Latest book!:

Thanks @Greg_Deckler. I have posted the idea here

Hi @Abhaykumar,

I also have reported this issue internally, will keep you update once I get any information.

Thanks for your question.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Any update?

Thanks @v-qiuyu-msft, I have also noticed this behavior with the R visual implementation in the default data set that it creates and there is no way to "undo" it other than to have the R script reference the source information and essentially create a new data set. I have posted this in Ideas to allow one to turn off removing duplicates in the default R visual data set that is created or at the very least allow us to create a data set using the same syntax as shown in the comments so that we can at the very least create our new, non-dedupped data set from the data in our data model instead of having to go back to the source.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.