Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Dual Y axis in Line chart

Hi,

I'm working on a line chart and displaying 2 columns Project count and test count. Project count is in tens of number and test count in thousands.With a single Y axis ,the Project line almost looks flat.

Is there any option to have a second Y axis. I see that this option is there in Line and stacked column chart. 

But we want to have the columns projection as 2 lines and looking for it in Line chart. Please help.

Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Super User IX
Super User IX

Re: Dual Y axis in Line chart

Probably need to look at a custom visual or R visual.

http://robjhyndman.com/hyndsight/r-graph-with-two-y-axes/

---------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Highlighted

I sahre your frustration!  There is even a tutorial on how to do it, but the option is not present on my version.  I wonder if this will be in the next release?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-combo-chart-merge-visuali...

Highlighted

Frustrated about this here too.  It's super simple in Excel but non-existent in Power BI.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Well done Power BI.  You're supposed to act as a SQL Server front-end, yet, Excel has more functionality for visualisation.  Why do you even exist?

Highlighted

Actually Option is there and I managed to find it after bit of playing ... yes it's not obvious.

Improtnant thing is you will not see the option as you have to scroll down to see it; after expanding the arrow Under Y-Axis (Column). Hope this helps.

Instruction here : https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-combo-chart-merge-visuali...

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

That's not what people are trying to solve for. We need to be able to plot 1 measure on the primary axis and another on the secondary. 

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Old thread but I've been looking for something similar for a while.    Turns out Zoomcharts Advanced Drilldown Column Chart already does this and probably has for a while... I'm disappointed I didn't realize it sooner because I bought it a while ago for grouped stacked columns, another not-available-out-of-the-box feature that I needed.   

Don't be fooled by the name, you can draw up to 12 series and they can all be lines (not columns).  Primary and Secondary Y Axes available. 

Hope this helps someone else. 

Highlighted

Hi Everyone,

I figured I would add to this since I found a creative solution/workaround that may or may not work for you.

Essentially, 2 line graphs, one in front of the other with one graph having the y axis values on the left and the other on the right. The graph in front, set the background to be fully transparent to be able to see the graph in the back. Position, size, and edit formats accordinaly. For me, the one in front has

• no borders - since had to be sized a little smaller
  • no y axis grid lines - so it doesn't look too messy witht he grid lines from other graph and  being in front you'll see the line graphs instead of the gridline being over it
  • no x axis labels - same as x axis labels on other graph
  • I made the rear graph solid lined, and front graph dotted lined, and just called out the difference in the title

Not perfect, and may not work for all situations but should work for some!

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

If you stack two charts on top of each other like this, how do you get to the one at the back in order to select it and make changes?  Select the one in front and then Format, Send Backward?  It would be nice if there was a visual selector dropdown at least.

UPDATE:  Actually, on the VIEW tab there is a "Selection Pane" checkbox where you can select visuals.

Helpful resources

Announcements

August Community Highlights

Check out a full recap of the month!

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors