Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LBE
Frequent Visitor

Drillthrough on measure with dax filter context not working

Hi,

In my report I use some measures with filter context in the dax code, for example:

Count Orchid Cut = CALCULATE(COUNT(VarietyTable[VarietyId]);VarietyTable[Crop] = "Orchid Cut")

On my main page I have a gauge based on this measure. Now I want to do a drillthrough on this gauge, so I have made a second page with details from my VarietyTable and the Count Orchid Cut measure as the drillthrough field.
But when I hit drillthrough on the gauge the result is the complete set, not filtered for the specified crop.

Is this a flaw in Power BI or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Leon
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi Leon,

When using drillthrough, filters created within a measure with CALCULATE are not passed to the drillthrough page.

Only filters from the report itself can be passed, i.e. fields in the visual itself, slicers, other filters.

I agree that this makes it confusing when drilling through from a measure like Count Orchid Cut.

This post discusses the same issue and proposes a solution by using a measure on the drillthrough page that replicates the filter on the original visual.

In your case, it sounds like you have a table or similar visual on the drillthrough page. You could add a visual level filter to that visual with a slightly modified measure set to is not blank:

Count Orchid Cut =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( VarietyTable[VarietyId] );
    KEEPFILTERS ( VarietyTable[Crop] = "Orchid Cut" )
)

By the way, do you have multiple measures of a similar nature that all need to drillthrough?

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi Leon,

When using drillthrough, filters created within a measure with CALCULATE are not passed to the drillthrough page.

Only filters from the report itself can be passed, i.e. fields in the visual itself, slicers, other filters.

I agree that this makes it confusing when drilling through from a measure like Count Orchid Cut.

This post discusses the same issue and proposes a solution by using a measure on the drillthrough page that replicates the filter on the original visual.

In your case, it sounds like you have a table or similar visual on the drillthrough page. You could add a visual level filter to that visual with a slightly modified measure set to is not blank:

Count Orchid Cut =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( VarietyTable[VarietyId] );
    KEEPFILTERS ( VarietyTable[Crop] = "Orchid Cut" )
)

By the way, do you have multiple measures of a similar nature that all need to drillthrough?

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar setup too and wish Drillthrough passed Filters from Measures too. Isnt that how Cross Filter works? I am was in shock to know that my entire report will lose the "Drill through" functionality due to this limitation! 😞

Here is my table with Categories coming from a Static Table (Commit, Upside, etc) , I have regions on Column
The matrix values varies basic on each category displayed here
tmp2.PNG
Here is a shorter version of my Measure. As you can see each category has a different filter. When I try to Drillthrough, only matrix filters are passed , not the Filters applied in the Measurs. Same happens when i have a simple , straightforward measure too! Please help or suggestion a possible alternative

CategoryMetrics = 

var vCommit= CALCULATE([ForecastSales],'FC'[forecast category]="Commit")
var vUpside= CALCULATE([ForecastSales],'FC'[forecast category]="Pipeline")
var vEarly =CALCULATE([ForecastSales],left('FC'[sales stage],2) in {"X0","X2","X3"})
var vLate =CALCULATE([ForecastSales],left('FC'[sales stage],2) in {"X4","X5"})

return
 SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('Category'[ID]),
 1, format(vCommit,"$ #.00 M"),
 2,format(vUpside,"$ #.00 M"),
 3, format(vEarly,"$ #.00 M"),
 4, FORMAT(vLate,"$ #.00 M"),
0)
/* Calculate Percentages
 5,FORMAT(DIVIDE(vCommitPerc,vCommit),"#.##%"),    5,FORMAT(DIVIDE(vCommitPerc,vCommit),"#.##%")
 6, FORMAT(DIVIDE(vUpsidePerc,vUpside) ,"#.##%"),
 7,FORMAT(DIVIDE(vLatePerc,vLate),"#.##%"),
*/

LBE
Frequent Visitor

Hi Owen, thanks for your answer. Indeed I have multiple measures that all need to drillthrough.

Regards, Leon

@LBE Did you get this to work for multiple measures? So far, the only way I've been able to get it to work is to do a different drill-through page for each variation, but that seems excessive to me. I feel like there has to be a more elegant way to do this!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.