cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mickey Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Drillthrough on matrix measure with dax filters - is there a workaround?

Hi,

Most articles on this have suggested creating a calculated column to use for the column instead of using measures, but I have a matrix which needs to have individual measures but I was wondering if there is any workaround to apply the dax filters from the measures when drilling through to another page?

As the drillthrough currently ignores any dax filters used in the measure.

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Drillthrough on matrix measure with dax filters - is there a workaround?

Hi @mickey ,

It is unavailable to put measure onto column box of Matrix visual and drillthrough by the measure in Power BI currently.

There are some Comparison between Calculated Columns and Calculated Measures.

Calculated Columns are:

• Calculate the whole column value of table, and added to a table,       seem in Data view.
  • Saved back into the model so take up space.

Calculated Measures are:

• Calculate for each row in your table.
  • Not saved anywhere (well, actually there's a cache in the report layer but it's not part of the file when you hit Save).

You may refer to the links to learn more about column and measure:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/calculated-columns-and-measures-in-dax/,

https://www.jetglobal.com/blog/calculated-columns-vs-measures/.

To work around the issue, you may need to convert the measure to calculated column first of all .

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

mickey Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xicai ,

Thanks for your help. Though for what I was trying to created I really needed the Measures over the Calculated Columns. As such to create the illusion of drillthrough I created 4 versions of the same table/drillthrough page and applied the required filters on each page to mimic the calculation/filtering behind the 4 Measures and then hid each page. So when drilling through on each of the Measures the user goes to what looks like the same page, but depending on the Measure each drillthrough page is slightly different.

Thanks!  

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mickey ,

It is unavailable to put measure onto column box of Matrix visual and drillthrough by the measure in Power BI currently.

There are some Comparison between Calculated Columns and Calculated Measures.

Calculated Columns are:

• Calculate the whole column value of table, and added to a table,       seem in Data view.
  • Saved back into the model so take up space.

Calculated Measures are:

• Calculate for each row in your table.
  • Not saved anywhere (well, actually there's a cache in the report layer but it's not part of the file when you hit Save).

You may refer to the links to learn more about column and measure:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/calculated-columns-and-measures-in-dax/,

https://www.jetglobal.com/blog/calculated-columns-vs-measures/.

To work around the issue, you may need to convert the measure to calculated column first of all .

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi  @mickey ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

mickey Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xicai ,

Thanks for your help. Though for what I was trying to created I really needed the Measures over the Calculated Columns. As such to create the illusion of drillthrough I created 4 versions of the same table/drillthrough page and applied the required filters on each page to mimic the calculation/filtering behind the 4 Measures and then hid each page. So when drilling through on each of the Measures the user goes to what looks like the same page, but depending on the Measure each drillthrough page is slightly different.

Thanks!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Kudos Given Badges Coming

New Kudos Given Badges Coming

We're rolling out new Kudos Given badges. Find out how many Kudos you've given.

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Learn about the award-winning innovation that was implemented across Microsoft’s Business Applications Communities.

Power Platform World Tour

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (2,266)