Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Drillthrough on matrix measure with dax filters - is there a workaround?

Hi,

Most articles on this have suggested creating a calculated column to use for the column instead of using measures, but I have a matrix which needs to have individual measures but I was wondering if there is any workaround to apply the dax filters from the measures when drilling through to another page?

As the drillthrough currently ignores any dax filters used in the measure.

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It is unavailable to put measure onto column box of Matrix visual and drillthrough by the measure in Power BI currently.

There are some Comparison between Calculated Columns and Calculated Measures.

Calculated Columns are:

• Calculate the whole column value of table, and added to a table,       seem in Data view.
  • Saved back into the model so take up space.

Calculated Measures are:

• Calculate for each row in your table.
  • Not saved anywhere (well, actually there's a cache in the report layer but it's not part of the file when you hit Save).

You may refer to the links to learn more about column and measure:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/calculated-columns-and-measures-in-dax/,

https://www.jetglobal.com/blog/calculated-columns-vs-measures/.

To work around the issue, you may need to convert the measure to calculated column first of all .

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-xicai ,

Thanks for your help. Though for what I was trying to created I really needed the Measures over the Calculated Columns. As such to create the illusion of drillthrough I created 4 versions of the same table/drillthrough page and applied the required filters on each page to mimic the calculation/filtering behind the 4 Measures and then hid each page. So when drilling through on each of the Measures the user goes to what looks like the same page, but depending on the Measure each drillthrough page is slightly different.

Thanks!  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-xicai ,

Thanks for your help. Though for what I was trying to created I really needed the Measures over the Calculated Columns. As such to create the illusion of drillthrough I created 4 versions of the same table/drillthrough page and applied the required filters on each page to mimic the calculation/filtering behind the 4 Measures and then hid each page. So when drilling through on each of the Measures the user goes to what looks like the same page, but depending on the Measure each drillthrough page is slightly different.

Thanks!  

Hi @Anonymous 

I would like to try you approach. (Multiple drillthrough pages and hid it)

But how do you make it so user dont have to choose which drillthrough page they want to go when they right click?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @rubymaya ,

For my example I had to create different pages to drill through for each of the measures and apply the necessary page level filters.

I then just applied each measure to the respective page as a drill through field, so when the user right clicks on the measure in table only 1 option appears for them to drill through to.

I hope that helps 🙂

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It is unavailable to put measure onto column box of Matrix visual and drillthrough by the measure in Power BI currently.

There are some Comparison between Calculated Columns and Calculated Measures.

Calculated Columns are:

• Calculate the whole column value of table, and added to a table,       seem in Data view.
  • Saved back into the model so take up space.

Calculated Measures are:

• Calculate for each row in your table.
  • Not saved anywhere (well, actually there's a cache in the report layer but it's not part of the file when you hit Save).

You may refer to the links to learn more about column and measure:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/calculated-columns-and-measures-in-dax/,

https://www.jetglobal.com/blog/calculated-columns-vs-measures/.

To work around the issue, you may need to convert the measure to calculated column first of all .

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.