Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jo_mandy
Frequent Visitor

Drillthrough - does not account for other page filters

The drillthrough feature is a great addition to this tool, however I don't think it measures up to other reporting tools drillthrough capabilities and I am not sure if this would be considered a bug, or the intended functionality.

Specifically, the drillthough functionality does not take into account other filters that have been applied to the page even if the field is in the drillthrough filters pane. 

My example is:

Report Page: I have a matrix on a page that is summarizing volume of work by 15 minute interval, geographic sector, and work task type. I have a date filter on this page, but that date column is not in my matrix. 

Drillthrough Page: My drillthough page contains a table visual that lists the details that makes up the summarized volume of work. The drillthrough filters are on 15 minute interval, sector, work task, and date. This is a very simple summary to detail drillthrough reporting requirement. 

Results: When I click on a cell in my Matix to drillthough I see the drillthrough report page filtered on 15 minute interval, geographic sector, and work task type. The results show all the records that meet these three criteria regardless of date. 

Expected Results: The drillthough would recognize the date filter from the first page that is used to filter the results of the matrix and pass that through to the drillthrough report along with the other criteria.

Workaround: To achieve the expect results, which again is very basic drillthrough functionality for any other reporting software, I have to include the date on my matrix. So this means you can only expect the drillthrough functionality to work if those fields are actually on the specific visual you are drilling from. 

Is this how you intend the solution to work? I think it will create a lot of confusion on what your drillthrough page is actually displaying. My experience in the reporting world is when you click to drillthrough from one page to another, you would bring through existing filters. 

If this is the intended functionality and not a bug, and will not be corrected quickly, then we will need the ability to turn off drillthrough from specific visuals as they will return results that will not make sense to report consumers.

For example a pie chart Let's say I have filtered my data and have a pie chart with the results. If I drillthrough from that pie chart, none of the other filters on the page will be applied because they are not in the visual. My report consumers are going to have no idea what the have drilled to since the results will be totally different than what is in that original pie chart. 

Please advise on this issue. 

2 REPLIES 2
J3663

I had the same issue. Turns out that you can use setup a slicer to filter your data in your main report. Then copy/paste it in the other report (drillthrough). It's going to ask you if you want to sync the slicers and filter the data accordingly on the second report.

Hope that helps!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@jo_mandy,

The visual level filters/page level filters/page slicers that you apply on your main report page can only work on this main report page, these filters can't cross pages along with drill-trough functionality . Regarding to this issue, an idea has been submitted in the following link, you can vote it up.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/31472473-drill-through-that-consi...

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.