Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marlline
Frequent Visitor

Drilldown Choropleth by MSA

Choropleth_PBI.JPG

Hi there,

My goal is create a Choropleth Map shaded by Quintile by MSA. I have Quintile value identified at ZIP and MSA level. However on the map it won't shade all. Please advise. I am using the Shape file:

https://uat.gramener.com/static/c3/US_adm1.json.

Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @marlline

According to this article, please check if you have done the correct steps.

To use the visuals, bring a dataset into Power BI, and put the custom visual on your page.

Put your data’s first-level location property in the Locations field, and the property you want to chart in the Values fields.

Then on the visual’s Formatting pane, open the Shape customization and put the URL to the first level of your map in the Level 1 box, the URL to your next level in the Level 2 box, and so on. If the name of the geographic property of your map doesn’t match the name of the field in your data, you can set that property name in the ID boxes.

Reference

http://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-custom-visuals-drilldown-choropleth

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SiddSan

Can we use drill through on this custom visual?

ugurdemir
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've just tried this visual with 2 levels.

But there is problem about drill down feature.

It's OK that my data seems fine in level 1. And if i click on "next level in the hierarchy" it shows level 2, that is also fine.

But i want to use the drill down feature. Need to click an area on level 1 to go to detail of this area (level 2) . Now, when i click on an area the map of level 1, map disappears suddenly, there is no visual of level 2.

Do you have a solution for this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there!

Can you share your experience in creating Choropleth by MSA? I am having hard time trying to create one. I can use the MSA code and create the heat map in minutes in Tableau. I was hoping PBI will do the same. Please help.

Thanks!

David

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @marlline

According to this article, please check if you have done the correct steps.

To use the visuals, bring a dataset into Power BI, and put the custom visual on your page.

Put your data’s first-level location property in the Locations field, and the property you want to chart in the Values fields.

Then on the visual’s Formatting pane, open the Shape customization and put the URL to the first level of your map in the Level 1 box, the URL to your next level in the Level 2 box, and so on. If the name of the geographic property of your map doesn’t match the name of the field in your data, you can set that property name in the ID boxes.

Reference

http://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-custom-visuals-drilldown-choropleth

Best Regards

Maggie

Choropleth_PBI_2.JPG

@v-juanli-msft

Thank you so much for your reply and I achieved above map. However still 2 questions:

1. How to only show the state boundary. Right now it seems to show county boundaries which make the map look very messy.

2. How to show state name on the map?

Thank you!!

To show only states on the maps -

On the Drilldown Choropleth Map configure Level 1 under the Shape, and remove the level 2 which builds the map at the county level

Shape/Level 1

https://uat.gramener.com/static/c3/US_adm1.json

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.